Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Ubuntu 10.10 'Monitor: Unknown' problem  (Read 4521 times)

PCdoc

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Ubuntu 10.10 'Monitor: Unknown' problem
« on: January 28, 2011, 08:37:06 AM »
Hi guys,
M mostly on the computerhope chat .. but got a problem .. been working on it researched on it myself but didnt find a satisfying solution.

I have ubuntu 10.10 upgraded from 10.04 with dual boot with xp. Have not able to find proper drives for my motherboard using ubuntu. Therefore, the Display properties show monitor: unkown.
Specs: (Custom Built)
Via K8M800-CE + VT8237R Chipsets
AMD Sempron 2600+
Monitor : Viewsonic LCD VA1703w

I have tried vesa, via drivers and currently I have openchrome drivers installed. I have googled a lot and also asked on the ubuntu irc channel but they also seem to find no solution to this. The display properties say Monitor: unknown, rotations not supported. I have tried manually editing the xorg.conf and have atleast enable smooth scrolling of pages. I have tried various options in the xorg. M not able to enjoy the full graphics etc for ubuntu. The legacy drivers on via website are also of no use. From what I have read on the launchpad is the via technologies have not yet released proper drivers for ubuntu for the particular motherboard series i have. So, users having this motherboard series have to do a workaround to make there graphics card work to the satisfaction.

Do you ppl have any idea abt this??

PCdoc

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Ubuntu 10.10 'Monitor: Unknown' problem
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 12:01:45 AM »
 ::) no one??