Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: unequally slow performance  (Read 4115 times)

Dr._Jalali

unequally slow performance
« on: August 13, 2005, 12:39:24 PM »
Hello friends.  You all have come through for me everytime I have written, so here's hoping on this one.
 As some of you know, I am a newbie with an oldbie computer--pentium 2, windows CP IE 6.  And, I am doing online teaching.  We use moodle.  Recently, our moodle was moved from the university site to a host that the unviersity hoped could help with technie things. Since that move, i have trouble navigating the moodle.  It goes either really really slowly, or theh computer hangs.  I know, go ask moodle you say?  I did.  They said, it must be the server.  I don't really know what that means.  I wrote to the techies that are supposed to be dealing with our techie probs and he said--1. He deals with techie probls of the college, not the faculty (how is that different? who knows.) 2--No other faculty is having my probl.  So I gave a friend of mine my password to enter the site, and sure enough, she didn't have any problem either, moved smoothly for her.  But not for me, and I am the one who has to put up all the exams and stuff there. I would even put up with the slow working--I file my nails, clean out my drawers, etc while it moves from page to page.  But the hanging is just too much.  So, here comes my question: ::) What can I do on this end to make things better?  is it really my  probl?  Why doesn't it  happen on all moodle sites, just this one?  Should I dump my IE and get a different browser?  I want to keep this job and can't aford to update my compie until I am working there long enough to make some $.  But if I keep hanging on their site, and they can't help me. . . .  So, puleez, some solutions-something that a newbie can understand ;)  thanks so much
dr j

Raptor

Re: unequally slow performance
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2005, 12:44:46 PM »
Should I dump my IE and get a different browser?

You can indeed try Mozilla Firefox

So I gave a friend of mine my password to enter the site, and sure enough, she didn't have any problem either, moved smoothly for her.

Is this moodl a graphically demanding program? What exactly does it do?

Dr._Jalali

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2005, 05:48:09 PM »
Thanks for the advice.  If I change the browser I assume I just delete the IE, right?  

As for Moodle is an open source Learning environment--you probably have heard of the more expensive ones, like Blackboard or Webct. This one is free.  I don't know what you mean about graphics, but you get a page with a lot of blocks and squares, and you edit your work, and you can put up your own lectures, or link to other lectures on the  net, or to other sites. Then, you can create assignments as per their already set up forms.  It is interactive, you know, so then students go there, do their quizzes and the moodle grades it and you can see it there on your teacher passworded site.  
 The thing that gets me stopped is that you have to "change pages" or frames, or whatever, for every little move you want to make.  Like to add your lecture, you have to click on the lecture icon, then a new page comes up.  You click upload and another page comes up, you browse for your file, and another page comes up, and then you upload your file and another page. . .well, you get it.  And everytime I need to change pages it takes about one or two minutes, instead of the usual 10 seconds or less that it takes to change pages in any other site.  The "official" moodle site moves fast for me, but out university site, since they chnged their host doesn't and the host claims to know nothing about the probl
 But I trust you and if you think chanign the browser will help, even a little, I will go with that. Thanks  again.
By the way, remember you recommended an email for me a while back. It just works great, thanks again x2.

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #3 on: August 13, 2005, 05:58:13 PM »
    I have no idea what a moodle is but can you ping the moodle place & compare the return times to someone else's ping times who gets good performance?

Fed

• Sage
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #4 on: August 13, 2005, 05:58:54 PM »
      You may wish to try tracert too.

merlin_2

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2005, 06:05:01 PM »
      Thats some old banger>pentium 2

Raptor

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2005, 06:05:40 PM »
      « Reply #4 on: Today at 01:58:51 »      
      Maybe you need spelling classes?

Merlin, shut the *censored* up you blasted hypocrite. You'd think that posting something like that would go by unnoticed? You were quicker to the delete button than I were to the quotebutton, but it will not go unpunished! Just another example of your rude behaviour towards earnest people! Good thing there's a BACK button..

If I change the browser I assume I just delete the IE, right?  

No, you can keep Internet Explorer. You need it for Windows Updates.

But I trust you and if you think chanign the browser will help, even a little, I will go with that. Thanks  again.

I can not guarantee that it will help, but you should stick with Mozilla Firefox none the less as it is a more reliable browser.

Can you give the system specifications (Such as the amount of MB RAM and processor speed) of the person who tested your account?
      « Last Edit: August 13, 2005, 06:06:16 PM by Raptor »

Dr._Jalali

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2005, 06:38:29 PM »
      Yes, Mr. Merlin, it is an old pentium. I feel like someone who has a job as a delivery boy and is using a horse and buggy while others speed by on their motorcycles.  I hope, nevertheless, to get this online teaching job up and rolling, depsite the slowness, and "with a little  help from my friends" there at computer hope.  Then, i will update the computer and let you all know about it!
      FYI I have downloaded the Firefox--must faster on the moodle site! If anyone wants to see moodle, you can go to www.moodle.org that's the mother site.  I am at www.openvarsity.com/moodle 151  I don't know their speed or MB or stuff like that, and I doubt they would share it with me.

Now, I have another question.  When I was downloading the wonderful firefox, I indicated from the start that it should go on my Drive E (you may remember also that I have a problem in that my Drive C only has aournd 100 MB left on it.  But, somehow, during the course of the download I know have only 9MB left.  If I downloaded onto E, where did the stuff on C go? can I get my MB's back? Can I move, say, some part of my programs, like IE or office onto E?  My computer is sending me wild warnings about low disk space.
      Thanks again for the tip on the browser.  Please help with the tight C problem. thanks

Raptor

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2005, 03:29:37 AM »
      Can I move, say, some part of my programs, like IE or office onto E?

Not without uninstalling. Otherwise pathways might become missingand you will no longer be able to use all functions in Office. Or perhaps you will not be able to use the program at all.

Are you using Windows XP? If yes, try moving the virtual memory to another partition. This should free at least 300MB of space if it has not allready been done.

What are the requirements for Moodle?