Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: laptop doesn't see HDD when its in computer, but it does when plugged in via USB  (Read 1903 times)

jukeboxed

hi forum, i have a toshiba portege that i have to fix for a school project. the problem is that we got 24 of these from a toyota plant and they royally screwed the hard drive. my project is to get one working so we know what to do. anyway i have tried to install win xp pro sp3 onto and the disc loads, but the computer doesn't see the hard drive when it is plugged in to its original SATA port in the computer. but when i use a SATA to USB converter cable, it sees it, but doesn't want to install. i have tried formatting it over 9000 times (not literally) in a few different formats and have trying to use the "repair volume" thing at the beginning of the installer menu. but nothing will get the hard drive back to being able to be seem inside the computer. any suggestions?

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
We don't normally help with homework but in this case I'll make an exception. You need to learn to capitalize the first word of a sentence and proper nouns (ie, Toyota). Other than that, you're on your own. Sorry.