Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Monitor Problem  (Read 2269 times)

retired66

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    Monitor Problem
    « on: January 23, 2011, 07:02:52 PM »
    Having problem getting my computer monitor to power on properly . Problem started a few weeks ago when monitor power light would go off and monitor would just go blank while using the computer . Though i might have to shut off power to pc and monitor after a few efforts monitor would be ok . A few days ago problem took a different track .

After computer has been off for several hours and i first turn on in the morning monitor green power light initializes but immediately goes off and screen is blank . The only way i can get monitor to  stay on is by turning power switch on and off and even unplugging from wall socket . This process has to be repeated over a period of 20 to 30 minutes before monitor will stay powered up . Once monitor does power up however it is fine the rest of the day and no longer shuts itself off while using the computer .

I have tried placing a cover over the monitor at night thinking it might be moisture because i live in a tropical climate and it's rainy season to no avail . Connections also seem to be secure . To me it acts like something isn't warmed up enough to operate properly . Would that make any sense ?

Suggestions appreciated

Thanks

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Monitor Problem
    « Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 07:11:55 PM »
    It  is a standard CRT type ?
    What is the average temperature and humidity level?
    You may need to open up the monitor and use a hair blower to dry out the high voltage area. The monitor may be shutting down because of moisture and dust in the anode and high voltage area.

retired66

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 07:53:59 PM »
      It  is a standard CRT type ?
      What is the average temperature and humidity level?
      You may need to open up the monitor and use a hair blower to dry out the high voltage area. The monitor may be shutting down because of moisture and dust in the anode and high voltage area.

Monitor is an LCD 17 wide screen View Sonic thats a few years old . Temps here run 70's - mid 80's 24 hrs a day but moisture is constant as it rains daily .

Thanks for the tip but before i open a monitor i will just see if any other suggestions ..   :-)

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 08:58:07 PM »
      Ignore what I said. It applies only to CRTs which have a high voltage section.

Sounds like your LCD has a power supply problem. Sorry, no experience with LCDs.

mattphelps

• Video Cable
      • Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 07:43:49 PM »
      I think you need to check if all the cables are properly working and is in good condition. I had this problem before and checking all the connections and see if all are working got the job done. Maybe the power supply to your monitor is being interrupted. So its better to check the power cables and check the sound and video cable to to make sure you get good results after.
      Most of the time, common display problems can be fixed by replacing your video cable.