Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Saving FF Bookmarks - IE8 Favorites to a file in order to send via Yahoo Mail?  (Read 5217 times)

lectrocrew

Topic Starter

Mentor

• ole dog learning new tricks
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • My first self-built computer
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
I'd like to get the links to some video's I have saved in "Bookmarks" sent via Yahoo mail to a friend so he can go through them to watch the videos I have bookmarked (~25 links)
I can't seem to get this done. And I've had problems in the past trying to do this also. I tried Windows "Files and Settings Transfer" but I never had any luck with that software in the past. How do I do this? On this PC I'm using Vista HM X86.

This would also help me transfer IE8 Favorites from this Vista PC to one of my XP PC's, which I also failed with using Windows file transfer software (included with both OS's).

Thank's
Mike

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Experience: Experienced
I'd like to get the links to some video's I have saved in "Bookmarks" sent via Yahoo mail to a friend so he can go through them to watch the videos I have bookmarked (~25 links)
I can't seem to get this done. And I've had problems in the past trying to do this also. I tried Windows "Files and Settings Transfer" but I never had any luck with that software in the past. How do I do this? On this PC I'm using Vista HM X86.

So, copy and paste is too much of a burden for ~25 links? 

This would also help me transfer IE8 Favorites from this Vista PC to one of my XP PC's, which I also failed with using Windows file transfer software (included with both OS's).

Just export your IE favorites, copy the file to the XP machine, and then import them.  To export, open IE and select File, Import and Export, Export to a file, and proceed.

lectrocrew

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
So, copy and paste is too much of a burden for ~25 links?

I guess not. I was just wanting a quicker solution since my job has me ~ 60 hrs a week lately.  >:(
But thanks for the suggestion. I'm out of blank CD's right now and I'm having no luck transfering files to my flash drive right now for some reason, (I'll start a new thread for that if needed).
 So, I got the transfer done for both IE8 and FF, using a different process for each. I copied them to Notepad then pasted-as-text and attached the file in an email to myself via yahoo. But it's a slow process: ~ 2 hrs for me.

FF bookmarks copy as a link, but show up as plain text in Notepad and in the email when recieved. And keeping up with which is the next bookmark to be copied needs to be recorded on paper (for an old 50 yr old brain like mine).

IE8 favorites will not copy from the favorites menu as a url address. The link has to be opened, then added to favorites via "Add to Favorites", then that url will copy-paste into the notepad document. And when returning to the IE* favorites menu, the last favorite copied is still hilighted, so no brain or paper record is needed to show which entries have already been saved (this helped alot for me).  And the IE8 links show up as a link in the recieved email, so that makes it easy to access the site, and each url shows as read (purple) in yahoo mail, therefore, no brain or paper again.

Just export your IE favorites, copy the file to the XP machine, and then import them.  To export, open IE and select File, Import and Export, Export to a file, and proceed.

I tried this but the problem seems to exist with the flash drive I'm trying to use. The XP machine will not open the file. (Maybe this is because the files came from a Vista PC, I don't know?

As I said, I'll start a new thread to deal with that issue if I can't figure it out.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for your help  soybean!!! You've helped me on here before so hat's off for your efforts. :)

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Experience: Experienced
video's ... sent via Yahoo mail to a friend so he can go through them to watch the videos
Are these videos on youtube.com?  If so, you can send links to them right from youtube.  To do that, go to the video on youtube and click on the Share button below the video.  Select Email and proceed.

FF bookmarks copy as a link, but show up as plain text in Notepad and in the email when recieved.
Of course.  Notepad is a simple text editor; it does can not save a URL as an active hyperlink.

My impression is that your way of going about this is much too laborious.  Why not just copy the URLs directly into an email message in your Yahoo Mail, which will save them as hyperlinks?  If you have about 25 to send, I see no reason this should take anywhere near two hours. 

lectrocrew

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
Are these videos on youtube.com?  If so, you can send links to them right from youtube.  To do that, go to the video on youtube and click on the Share button below the video.  Select Email and proceed.

Some are Youtube but others are vehicle accidents on the Young News Channel. I don't see a share link on YNC, but I can copy the URL address and paste it directly into the email. (See below post).
And I also have bookmarks that open other type of sites such as my bank login page and pages I login to monthly to make payment for auto insurance, cable tv/ internet service ect., and, of course, none of these have a "share" link.

My impression is that your way of going about this is much too laborious.  Why not just copy the URLs directly into an email message in your Yahoo Mail, which will save them as hyperlinks?  If you have about 25 to send, I see no reason this should take anywhere near two hours.
This works fine and much quicker than how I was doing it (saving the URL to my computer 1st). I just didn't think of it. But this means I have to open every link. I was originally just wanting to copy the list of links for transfer without opening each one.

BTW: I got my flash drive working now so I'll try the "Import / export" procedure when I get time.

Thanks again.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Try Copy/Paste....it should still pick it up as a hyperlink...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "