Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: printer trouble  (Read 2556 times)

ApexAnimal

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    printer trouble
    « on: February 10, 2011, 03:27:33 PM »
    Bought a used computer,
    loaded driver for my printer, supposedly loaded with no problems, couldn't print test page. (although yesterday when I turned the PC on a test page printed that was in queue, I couldn't print another one)

Tried deleting the driver for the previous owners printer and it told me there was a print job in queue and I had to take care of that first. So I tried deleting the print job and it won't delete. It says it's deleting, but it never completes the process. I've tried re-booting, no luck, tried setting the other printer as the default, no luck. I let it run over night just to be completely patient with the process, no luck.

Running windows 7

Please help!

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: printer trouble
    « Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 04:41:53 PM »
    Bought a used computer,
    And the prior owner warned you about a problem.
    Let's assume it is a hardware problem. Most likely he had a different printer.
    Tell us more about the computer. Make? Model? How old?
    USB ports on laptops can go kinda bad. Windows does not always give hardware errors codes when that is some kind of hardware problem.
    One possible test is to try a powered Hub to improve the USB interface quality. It is not exactly a brute power issue, but something like that.

ApexAnimal

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 06:44:20 PM »
      Asus Desktop about 9 months old. pentium dual core 750 g HD and 6 G ram.

My printer is an epson, his was a lexmark.

He got rid of it because his mom gave him a laptop and he no longer needed this one.

He said he had just had it checked out by a tech and that all was good. He had a virus of some sort but got it all cleaned up. HD was partitioned and the D drive was virtually empty. C drive was only programs and not much of that beyond what came with the system.

I uninstalled Norton AV and installed MS Sec. Essentials.

What would a faulty USB port have to with not being able to delete a print job in the queue?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 07:42:27 PM »
      Anything, almost anything, that prevents the printer from ding its job will stall all jobs sent to the print service.
      The print service may report an error,
      - or it may not.  :o

Print spooler is a term Microsoft uses for a print service. Some believe the original term was print  spoiler, but this is completely untrue. I have called it 'print service', but that is not a very good name. Somehow, Print Spoiler seems to fit better.  8)

He is a site that provides some insight and then tells you to buy something you do not never need. Therefore what they say must be mostly true.
      http://www.windowsanswers.net/articles/fix-printer?tid=printspoolergoog

ApexAnimal

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 05:51:50 PM »
        Well the print spooler was the right direction to go. But the link you provided didn't help. I took it to a PC shop and all he did was stop the print spooler which allowed him to remove the other printer.
        Everything is fine now. I thank you for your assistance