Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Recover Win98 HDD  (Read 18956 times)

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Recover Win98 HDD
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2011, 10:01:42 AM »
If you hook it up as a slave in a working machine and run chkdsk /r on it it may help...

No guarantees...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2011, 10:22:32 AM »
Many USB devices sold are out of specification. The don't work right. Error recovery is very poor.
Please stop posting nonsense. Thank you.

kdxman

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2011, 02:19:54 PM »
If you hook it up as a slave in a working machine and run chkdsk /r on it it may help...

No guarantees...

No, it didn't work. I was able to recover lots of files with EASUS partition doctor. The other recovery tools didn't work as good.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2011, 02:22:58 PM »
Doing a Win98 Repair install should have been covered in your studies...

kdxman

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2011, 02:28:56 PM »
Doing a Win98 Repair install should have been covered in your studies...

We studied XP and later. Why would they make us study win98. Maybe instead of posting for nothing, you should tell me how to repair a windows 98 machine. I know XP has a recovery tool. Does windows 98 have one? help me instead of making me run around.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2011, 02:39:02 PM »
Go to the Root directory and rename win.com to win.old...

Boot to the Win98 CD and reinstall Windows...

Providing the HDD is not corrupted all your data and apps will be intact...

PS first time this Month i assisted a snnoot.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2011, 03:39:07 PM »

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2011, 03:40:51 PM »
His posting priveledges and the offending Post where he showed a supreme command of the English language have been revoked...

Salmon Trout

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2011, 03:48:25 PM »
...and I thought I was an ill-mannered lout!

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2011, 04:07:29 PM »
This type thread seems to be something of a new norm here. It's one of those "only help me by doing what I say!" questions. I've seen it time and time again, and this forum is hardly the only one; people challenging the help they receive because of some mistaken superiority because they have a certificate or something. It's not like you got a phd in Computer Science, and even if you had- why does it make a difference? Clearly it didn't help you solve the original problem anyway so why does it make you more qualified to assert that provided solutions are wrong?

"I'm a newly graduated IT Tech I know what I'm doing" Clearly, at least in this particular case, you do not, that's why you posted here to begin with. If you knew what you were doing you wouldn't be asking what you should be doing. Same for me. If I post a question, it's  because I either don't know what I'm doing or am unsure what I'm doing. I wouldn't be about to think that despite my years of working with computers not being any help to solve whatever issue I was facing that it is still applicable to tell people that they aren't helping and to try to direct some sort of "correct answer" as if I already knew the answer. Of course I could determine wether somebody is spouting nonsense, but there is none of that here and yet you are calling people out for doing so, it would seem.

In any case, I had a interestingly similar problem some years ago (DOS 6, doubt they cover that in "IT Tech school" either); It was related to a hard drive and trying to get it visible; since there was no fancy schmancy auto-detected back in this days, I had to guess and keep booting to a floppy and trying to view the contents of the drive. At some point I chose a geometry that was Close (but not the same) so everything appeared corrupted; directory and file names with smiley faces and high-ASCII symbols, etc. I ended up reformatting, and then subsequently had to start over by choosing the appropriate HD Type later on.

Not that that really helps. The filesystem is corrupted, that's pretty much all that can be said. Unless you've had to deal with manual selection of drive types it's probably pointing to a failure/impending failure. Wether the data on a drive is important or not doesn't make it's chance of recovery any greater, unfortunately. Before formatting that drive you could try Recuva, but it is probably too late.

P.S I believe Patio suggests slaving the drive because using it in a USB enclosure adds an additional layer of indirection (the ATA to USB circuitry) usually that circuitry is not very fault-tolerant.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2011, 04:10:42 PM »
...and I thought I was an ill-mannered lout!

I don't think this was an "either / or" situation ;D

Just joshin' ST - actually you've been quite the gentleman lately.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2011, 04:13:20 PM »
Please stop posting nonsense. Thank you.
Allan:
Pardon my poor grimmer and style. I should have said:
IDE USB data transfer fails
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/237743-44-vista-doesn-recognize-external-drive

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/252167-32-adapters

http://www.linux-usb.org/FAQ.html
For certain USB mass-storage devices

The fault is both hardware ad software. The USB makers ought to make more effort to verify the user OTB experience. Really. Otherwise it is is a huge load on system software people to test every make and model of USB device out there.