Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: WNR2000 router and recording the bandwith traffic  (Read 3723 times)

Northenlad60

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
WNR2000 router and recording the bandwith traffic
« on: February 16, 2011, 12:35:27 PM »
Hi,

I have a query that I was hoping could be answered by someone on here.

Basically, I have 3 hope computers that are used by may family (two connected via wire and one via wi-fi). I also have 5 students that share our house (these are not paying students, as we put them up until they can find their footings).

The problem I have is that over the course of the month we have a very large amount of traffic. Our IPS has allowed us a 40GB per month free and anything over this is to be paid for. The issue rises where I have a nice bill coming in now and everyone is saying it is not them doing downloads.
Last month 27GB over the 40GB
This month 57GB over the 40GB

I advised the students that any streaming via whatever website also adds to this, but everyone is saying they are not doing this.

I want to have my router record the bandwith traffic from each MAC or IP on the home network, and wondered if this was possible?

If not, how can I best record this, so I can see what is taking up all this traffic?

Kindest regards

Richard

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: WNR2000 router and recording the bandwith traffic
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 02:11:25 PM »
What have you already tried? Nothing? Here is an idea.
Tell you Boss you want to try a new product at home to help improve the network.
Then call these people and get a free trail.
Network Bandwidth Monitor
Firewall Analyzer provides you...
From the Firewall log information, Firewall Analyzer extract a lot of information about the bandwidth. As a network administrator, you can visualize the behavior pattern of the network bandwidth usage from the reports. Network Bandwidth reports answers to a lot of bandwidth related questions.
    * Which user is using the bandwidth?
    * Which host consumes the bandwidth?
    * What is the bandwidth share of various protocols?
    * When the bandwidth is bursting at the seams?
http://www.manageengine.com/products/firewall/bandwidth-monitoring.html
US :     +1 888 720 9500     |     Intl :     +1 925 924 9500
US Intl :     +1 800 443 6694     (alternative number)
Australia :     +1 800 631 268     |     UK :     0800 028 6590

midsail

Hopeful
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: WNR2000 router and recording the bandwith traffic
    « Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 04:52:13 PM »
    Hello Northenlad60 your router has several built in features to control access to the internet. I have the same router and use it feature to block, filter and control access for the young ones in the family. Here is the link to Netgear support
    http://kb.netgear.com/app/

just type wnr 2000 and select which version of the router you have.