Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Monitor has an orange color  (Read 20138 times)

Bobh

Monitor has an orange color
« on: February 16, 2011, 07:00:00 PM »
Hello -
I am running Vista Home Basic  32 bit.  My computor and monitor is about 3 years old.  When I log on the name Microsoft with a bar that has moving marks comes up.  This has an orange or red tint to it.  Before it has always been white.  If I leave the computer on and am gone for a while and come back and move the monse the screen will come up with an orange tint.  This tint will fade away with 1 minute.  I have changed the background color but that has no effect.  Does this mean that the monitor is going bad and I will have to buy a new monitor?  Does it mean anything?   I have kept all my security up to date and run them every week or so.  As far as I can tell everything works fine.  Thanks for any suggestions.     Bob

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Monitor has an orange color
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 07:21:31 PM »
Why not just borrow one to make sure its either one, monitor or PC component is faulty? Just for testing.

Bobh

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 07:25:00 PM »
jason2074 -
Dumb me.  I never thought of that.  When my friend gets back in town I will try that.   Thanks    Bob

Mulreay

Egghead
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Space and Science
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 08:19:06 PM »
Why not just borrow one to make sure its either one, monitor or PC component is faulty? Just for testing.

It sounds like your CRT monitor is shot, in other words it needs replacing. I would suggest an LCD display. That is the norm for the folk the work with computers.

If you need help with that then please let us know.

For when the One Great Scorer comes
To write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost,
But how you played the game.

Owner of www.spaceandscience.co.uk and YouTube partner http://www.youtube.com/user/mulreay

Bobh

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 05:19:08 AM »
Mulreay -
Thanks for your reply.  My neighbor is gone for 10 days.  When she gets back I think I can use her monitor to help check the problem.  The orange tint has not reached the problem stage yet but I am concerned that it might.  By the time that the background picture  comes up everything appears normal.  Bob

Bobh

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 04:24:28 AM »
Mulreay -
The orange tint seems to be increasing in intensity and duration.  Makes me wonder if I am going to lose my monitor without any more warning.  Will you explain what you mean when you say I should get a  LCD display.  I need to be parpared.   Thanks     Bob 

Salmon Trout

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2011, 04:55:31 AM »
explain what you mean when you say I should get a  LCD display

This is a "CRT" (Cathode Ray Tube) monitor.

This is an "LCD" (Liquid Crystal Display) monitor.

Which type do you have?

Bobh

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2011, 07:30:24 AM »
Salmon Trout -
Thanks for your reply.  I have an E Machine flat panel Monitor, which is an LCD.   HOWEVER, I have solved my problem!!  While checking the user guide I found out that there were 5 buttons on the side of the monitor.  These buttons control the color and other operations.  Apparently some time I accidentally pressed one of the bottons and changed the tint of the screen.  When I read the directions I corrected the problem.  I apologize for taking up your time.  Consider the problem corrected.     Thanks     Bob

Mulreay

Egghead
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Space and Science
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2011, 07:32:39 AM »
Glad to hear you got the problem sorted  ;)
For when the One Great Scorer comes
To write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost,
But how you played the game.

Owner of www.spaceandscience.co.uk and YouTube partner http://www.youtube.com/user/mulreay

Bobh

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2011, 07:33:26 AM »
Thanks also to  Mulreay and Jason 2047.   Bob

Salmon Trout

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2011, 07:56:01 AM »
Apparently some time I accidentally pressed one of the bottons and changed the tint of the screen.  When I read the directions I corrected the problem.  I apologize for taking up your time.

No need to apologize - glad to know you're OK now.

Bobh

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2011, 06:11:02 PM »
Hi -
Note that my first question was Feb. 16.  Since then I have discovered that I did not solve the problem.  I have tried a couple of things which did not help.  At Jason 2074's suggestion today I  took my monitor to my friends house and plugged it into his computor.  When I turned it on the orange tint was still there.  As usual the orange tint faded to the normal color after a minute or two.  He suggested that what controls the balance of color might be weak and gets normal as it heats up.  I suppose that over time the control will get weaker and will fail and I will need to buy a new monitor.  Does this sound reasonable?  At the present the problem is not a big one but I would like to be prepared.      Thanks      Bob 

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2011, 12:04:36 AM »
Does this sound reasonable?  At the present the problem is not a big one but I would like to be prepared
Yes and start on investing for a better monitor sooner and in the meantime while it is still usable.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2011, 12:19:01 AM »
This is an LCD monitor. The image is formed by shining light from a "backlight" through the LCD panel. It is common for the backlight to take a small amount of time to reach full stable brightness; a second or two. Seems like yours may be a bit sluggish. Like a compact fluorescent bulb (similar technology). If it settles down after a minute I would not worry too much. If it starts to go pink that is a sign the backlight is failing. They can be replaced.

Do you mean a heavy orange tint, or just a slight warm effect, like when you change the color temperature towards "warm"?

Bobh

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2011, 06:48:30 AM »
Jason 2074 -
Thank you for your reply.  I think you have the answer I was looking for.  I will just keep on using what I have but stay prepared to get a new monitor.
 Salmon Trout _
Thanks for your reply.  I guess you could say what I get is just a slight warm effect.  As I said I will just watch for more developments.  At least I know the problem is the monitor and not the computer.
Thanks for your time.    Bob