Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Yahoo Messenger signing in & out on its own  (Read 6553 times)

mikey-r_m

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Yahoo Messenger signing in & out on its own
    « on: February 23, 2011, 08:24:40 PM »
    Hi. Was able to use Yahoo Messenger (YM) last summer but when i tried it again this week it would just cycle signing in an out. Haven't used this in the netbook (running on a Windows 7 starter edition) until this week and encountered this problem. First thought that this was a wireless network issue and connected the netbook via cat-5 but YM was still behaving like this. YM was already installed before back in early 2010 and running well especially last summer. Back then I was also running Panda Cloud and AVAST (both free edition) and YM was working fine. I uninstalled and reinstalled YM ver10 but still getting the sign in/out behavior. I then uninstalled YM again and both Panda and AVAST and then installed my Kaspersky Internet Security ver11 and ran initial scan after updating this = no threats detected. Reinstalled YM ver10 hoping that it will work but it was still signing in/out on its own. I even tried setting the YM internet connection preferences to "broadband" but still no luck. Really need some advice on how to fix YM. Thanks!

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
    Re: Yahoo Messenger signing in & out on its own
    « Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 11:31:13 PM »
    Do you happen to be using the YM mobile(SMS)service upon logging out and have you check the problem by logging in/out on another PC?

mikey-r_m

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 05:53:30 PM »
      Jason2074 - nope, not using YM mobile.  I tried logging using another PC (Vista) and it still behaved the same, i.e. YM signing in/out problem.  I tried having someone login to YM on the netbook using their account and it worked - it didn't do the sign in/out cycle .  Any ideas why this happens when using my account? 

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
      « Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 06:48:52 PM »
      The only time I've experienced this problem was:
      1. Using an older Version of YM. Don't remember what version.
      2. Somebody knows my password account which happens to be my wife(Lol). Why? Because while using my own account(signed in) and her using another PC and signing in to my own or same account, logs me instantly out of YM which was confirm that time when asked. So what I did was changed my password(stronger) and never told her again.
      3. Other steps I did was scanned my computer. We all have different choices of Security softwares. I have Downloaded Malwarebytes and Superantispyware(Update and perform a complete scan) and cleaned out junk files(cookies and temp files) using Ccleaner. I preferred Avira over Avast/AVG on some number of things and removed certain system scanners or website scanners.
      4.Registering on YM mobileservice(SMS) could also compromise with that login/out behavior based on my experience but since cleaning or scanning out the PC with infection has not been a problem since then.
      5. Certain things I also noticed that when going to Yahoomail account(to check on emails) and signing in automatically by clicking on Ymail icon shortcut on YM, logs out instantly my logged in account(other YM account).
      Also try booting to safemode with networking but try my other suggestions first.

geek hoodlum

Apprentice
        • Yes
      • Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 08:08:56 PM »
      See if it will work...

1. Install CCleaner
      2. Uninstall YM
      3. Check if folder still exists C:\Program Files\Yahoo! If yes, delete it.
      4. Run CCleaner (Cleaner and Registry). Follow "Step 2" in this link http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,46313.msg290095.html#msg290095 on how to use CCleaner
      5.  Install YM