Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Network connection gets dropped every so often  (Read 9058 times)

shashgo

Topic Starter

Apprentice

Network connection gets dropped every so often
    « on: February 27, 2011, 12:17:09 PM »
    I have this setup at home:  The modem is upstairs and is connected to the wall and a Belkin Wireless-G adapter.  I have three computers at home, one desktop and two laptops.  All are wireless, the desktop is upstairs and has a wireless adapter.  The laptops are downstairs.

Every so often the wireless connection just gets dropped and none of the computers can connect wirelessly to the internet.  Is it possible that the range of the wireless G adapter is not that wide and switching to a wireless N adapter will increase the range and thereby eliminate the problem?  The distance from the room with the router to the room with the laptop downstairs is maybe 25 feet.

Also how do I determine which channel to use

jagwinn

Beginner

• Certifications: List
      • Experience: Beginner
      Re: Network connection gets dropped every so often
      « Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 12:42:19 PM »
      I solved this on my system by discovering that I had too many firewalls active.

Each computer has its own MS firewall........turn them off.

The Belkin router has its own firewall......turn it off.

The modem will have a fire wall and that will be sufficient.

Be sure to secure your wireless with a password and do not create a visitor password.

I point everything to channel 6.

This works for my system which consists of  1.) Sorenson Video Relay phone with its modem; 2.) Atlantic cable modem; 3.) Belkin G Wireless router; 4.) 1997 HP Brio desk top with Wireless adapter and running Win2000Pro 5.&6.) wireless laptops both running Vista.

John
      No one cares how much you know until they know how much you care.

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 12:48:15 PM »
      I solved this on my system by discovering that I had too many firewalls active.

Each computer has its own MS firewall........turn them off.

The Belkin router has its own firewall......turn it off.

The modem will have a fire wall and that will be sufficient.

Be sure to secure your wireless with a password and do not create a visitor password.

I point everything to channel 6.

This works for my system which consists of  1.) Sorenson Video Relay phone with its modem; 2.) Atlantic cable modem; 3.) Belkin G Wireless router; 4.) 1997 HP Brio desk top with Wireless adapter and running Win2000Pro 5.&6.) wireless laptops both running Vista.

John
      Most modems do not have firewalls - most routers do. And there is no reason you can't have both a software and a hardware firewall active.

shashgo

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 03:10:46 PM »
        Allan, So then what is causing the network connection to drop every so often?  Would an N router fare better than a G router

Rustys

Intermediate

• Escaped Mental Patient
          • Yes
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 06:43:08 PM »
        Is this Cable, Satellite, DSL?

Does this happen at the same time every day?  Have you tried connecting each computer one at a time to see if one of them can be the cause?

Are you loosing network connection or just internet?

Are all systems configured to obtain IP Address automatically?

Some times having the modem and router IP address the same can cause issues.

Could some one access the modem and or router and set time limits and or access times?
        "Confucius could give answer to that... unfortunately Confucius not here at moment."

shashgo

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 09:30:04 AM »
          its cable internet.  I lose internet connection, and I cant even access the other computers so it is a network issue.  Systems are all configured to have static ips, cause I was facing the same problem when I had DHCP on all systems. 

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
          « Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 02:04:09 AM »
          Try pressing the reset button of the modem and then reconnect. Its not always a router g or n signal strength but interferences.

chaggoy

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 04:29:57 AM »
          sorry if I will give u an advice though I'm just a newbie here. try to change your wireless channel in your router. 1, 3, 6 or 9 will be fine you can check which of these channel will do. sometimes it helps to some of my clients.

shashgo

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 11:45:04 AM »
            The problem is not that I cannot reconnect the internet again after I lose the network signal.  When the internet connectivity is lost, I need to go to the router, disconnect the plug (essentially a reset) then wait for 10 seconds.   And then the computers connect to the internet automatically.  I have also tried using different channels on the router in an effort to keep the connection stable, but the disconnection problem still occurs.
            I did think it was because of interference, but then how is it that  the internet connections in the wifi hotspots like at starbucks and mcdonalds never lose connection? 

Ryder17z

Intermediate
              • Yes
            • Computer: Specs
            « Reply #9 on: March 01, 2011, 12:12:45 PM »
            What if there is a problem within the router itself ?
            The cake is a lie...

shashgo

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2011, 12:15:47 PM »
              Well, it is possible that there could be a problem with the router, but I doubt it.  If  there was, then there would no internet connectivity at all

Ryder17z

Intermediate
                • Yes
              • Computer: Specs
              « Reply #11 on: March 01, 2011, 02:06:39 PM »
              Actually, it could be the router's fault, as this happened to me:

I had a D-Link router placed on top of a OEM DSL modem and sometimes, the router shut down due overheat

(If you wonder, i have other equipment now, and a nice fiber connection)
              The cake is a lie...

shashgo

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2011, 02:14:17 PM »
                well okay i can understand the oveheating problem but i dont have my router on top of my modem.  Still what youre saying could be true

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
                « Reply #13 on: March 01, 2011, 07:51:54 PM »
                All are wireless, the desktop is upstairs and has a wireless adapter.  The laptops are downstairs.
                Did it work before?
                Check first one machine via wireless connection on current network setup if the issue exist then add or connect another PC by WLAN. Also by distance or signal strength, move the laptop near the wireless router and check the wireless connection issue. Check all wireless adapter properties uncheck proxy settings, VPN and remove specified IP or DNS address and use auto(TCP/IP.v4.v6). Use Windows Wireless Zero Configuration(XP) startup/WLAN auto config(Vista or 7) type "Automatic" on all adapter. Click start->run->type services.msc->look for the WLAN config. or WZC startup type double click and change to auto, click "apply". On your router settings mixed mode change or toggle from b/g/n to b/g or vice-versa to support all wireless adapter standard for your laptop/desktop.
                Try pressing the reset button of the modem and then reconnect
                Look for a small hole behind the router/modem(unplugged) and press it with a paper clip.

shashgo

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2011, 10:26:50 PM »
                  jason,

The wireless internet works, thats not the issue.  The issue is that I keep losing the internet connection every so often and I have to manually reset the router.  So Im wondering why I keep facing this problem when the internet connection at hotspots stays nice and stable all the time.  I cant be having more interference than those places, can I?