Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: IE8 error message No Such Interface Supported  (Read 8641 times)

danldo

Topic Starter

Beginner

IE8 error message No Such Interface Supported
    « on: January 26, 2011, 09:15:30 AM »
    I have a new Dell XPSL701x with Windows 7 Home Premium with IE8
    It has a Intel I7 processor 1.87 Mhz with 8GB memory
    64 bit
    When I click on certain links like a webinar that I have alway gone to I get an error message that say "No Such Interface Supported"
    I downloaded Mozilla and it worked, but I need to use IE8. I have tried running the Fix it from Microsoft's website but that didn't fix it.
    I have several websites this does not work on. I tried typing in the webinar site in the address bar and it worked, but when I click on the link
    I get the error.
    Here are a couple of the messages I get. Thanks for the Help.
    Webpage error details
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/4.0; GTB6.6; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; MDDC; .NET4.0C)
    Timestamp: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 15:59:54 UTC
    Line: 232
    Char: 1
    Code: 0
    URI: http://berninausa.com/
    Webpage error details
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/4.0; GTB6.6; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; MDDC; .NET4.0C)
    Timestamp: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 16:04:29 UTC
    Line: 66
    Char: 4
    Code: 0
    URI: http://www.yarnellschool.com/

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: IE8 error message No Such Interface Supported
    « Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 09:28:28 AM »
    I downloaded Mozilla and it worked, but I need to use IE8.
    Why do you need to use IE8?

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru

danldo

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 07:49:20 AM »
      The programmers at work said I had to use IE for somethings they have written.
      I tried the script and it didn't help.
      I tried IE 16 bit and it works, but flash doesn't work in the 16bit.

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 07:51:31 AM »
      I'm not trying to be snide - but perhaps the programmers at work can offer some suggestions?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 08:04:03 AM »
      It sounds to me like the problem is in fact caused by the very thing that they have written.

"No Such Interface Supported" is a standard COM error code (E_NOINTERFACE); this error occurs when a QueryInterface call is made attempting to acquire an interface ID that the object doesn't support.

Now the question may be brought up how that is at all relevant; well, consider for a moment that a 32-bit COM component would not even load at all in 64-bit; the additional mention that you need IE leads me to believe that for whatever reason your workplace has instituted a policy whereby all machines have specific Internet Explorer Addons installed- written in-house. It also seems clear that these addons are relatively poorly written in that they aren't doing proper error handling; in 64-bit the plugins aren't loading (because they are 32-bit), and other browsers don't load them for obvious reasons. IE 32-bit loads the plugin/addons properly, but the addons error out later on attempting to acquire a interface for some other component. This is further reinforced in that overriding link behaviour is something that is a relatively common task for such addins to do. (in the case of a company, for example, it likely creates an audit trail)

On the other hand, however, the "error messages" you posted half-appear as if they are in fact javascript errors and not related to COM at all; but that raises the question of why 64-bit would work fine once again; the only possible reason I can conceive is once again that a 32-bit component is being used that has issues that simply cannot be loaded to begin with in 64-bit.
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

milesrf

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #6 on: March 06, 2011, 01:27:30 PM »
        I've seen a similar problem under IE8 whenever I had Adobe Flash Player disabled or not installed yet, and tried to access a site showing a video.