Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Java Console extensions in Firefox 3.6, how many should I have?  (Read 9754 times)

soybean

Topic Starter

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Java Console extensions in Firefox 3.6, how many should I have?
« on: February 19, 2010, 03:17:09 PM »
Hey guys, I just upgraded FF to 3.6.  Now, when I open the Add-ons screen, I see 6 entries of Java Console. They are, in this order:

Java Console 6.0.13
Java Console 6.0.14
Java Console 6.0.15
Java Console 6.0.17
Java Console 6.0.18
Java Console 6.0.12

Is this normal?  I did not have all those in FF 3.5.8.  In fact, I either none or only 1 in FF 3.5.8. If this is normal, why are they all necessary?

Perhaps I should mention, I also installed a "persona" right after installing FF 3.6. 

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Java Console extensions in Firefox 3.6, how many should I have?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 03:22:47 PM »
Persona may be the culprit...i'm not showing the same results...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

soybean

Topic Starter

Genius
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 03:40:49 PM »
I just disabled all of them, closed FF, and then restarted it to see whether that would break the persona.  It did not.  Still, I suspect the viewing of various personas before choosing one is what's behind this.  And, perhaps once one is installed, the Java Console is no longer needed. 

When viewing the various personas, hovering the mouse over the persona makes it appear on the browser as it would appear if installed for permanent use.  It's a way of previewing what a persona will look like on your browser.  So, that functionality may be based on java.  Still, if so, I wonder why that would generate the multiple entries/versions (maybe they aren't really different "versions") of Java Console that appeared in the Add-ons.

I may post a question on this in http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Support+Website+Forums

milesrf

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 10:44:14 PM »
    I'm having the same problem, even after installing version 6.0.24 of the Java Console.  About 5 older versions still installed as well.  My guess is that the downloaded new versions of Java Console do not include anything for uninstalling the old versions.  The installation does NOT mention whether the older versions should be uninstalled.

I'm having a problem with my cross-browser setup (Firefox, IE8, Xmarks for Firefox, Xmarks for IE, and CheckPlaces; plus a few more not used recently) where the URL of a bookmark is occasionally changed to about:blank, by Firefox.  Any idea if the extra Java Console versions have anything to do with this?

I've never used a persona, unless it was created without ever using that name for it.

64-bit Windows Vista

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
    « Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, 11:47:35 PM »
    According to http://kb.mozillazine.org/Java#Multiple_Java_Console_extensions

Starting in Firefox 3.6, a "Java Console <version>" extension will appear in the Firefox "Tools -> Add-ons -> Extensions" list for each Java version installed (previous to Firefox 3.6, these extensions were hidden). [37] Uninstalling Java should remove the Java Console. Updating Java 6 Update 10 or later will remove the previous Java version but may not uninstall the Java Console for that version, causing Firefox to accumulate multiple Java Console extensions. You can uninstall all Java Console extensions from the Firefox Extensions list, since this extension is obsolete and has no function (see below). On Windows, if the Uninstall button for the Java Console extension is "greyed-out", exit Firefox, reopen Firefox from the context (right-click) menu "Run as Administrator" option, then try again. [38]
    You can also manually remove unwanted extensions by opening the installation directory "extensions" folder and deleting the associated subfolder (e.g., to uninstall the Java Console 6.0.18 extension, open the C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\extensions\ folder and delete the "{CAFEEFAC-0016-0000-0018-ABCDEFFEDCBA}" subfolder). [39] [40] Starting in Firefox 4 (4.0b8) the Firefox installer and updater will automatically remove Java Console extensions from the installation directory "extensions" folder

soybean

Topic Starter

Genius
    « Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 11:02:32 AM »
    thanks for posting that info. 

milesrf

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2011, 12:37:20 PM »
      According to http://kb.mozillazine.org/Java#Multiple_Java_Console_extensions

Thanks - all of them now uninstalled to see it that will help my problem with random URL changes to about:blank.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #7 on: March 06, 2011, 05:27:18 PM »
      Thanks - all of them now uninstalled to see it that will help my problem with random URL changes to about:blank.
      \
      You're  Infected...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

milesrf

Rookie

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2011, 08:31:32 PM »