Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Odd Windows 7 64-bit issue  (Read 2379 times)

G. Ross Key

Odd Windows 7 64-bit issue
« on: March 04, 2011, 10:35:18 AM »
I have a laptop running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. After the latest spate of Windows updates (but before I installed service pack 1), I started having an odd problem.

On initial boot up, everything runs fine. But at some point, programs stop loading altogether. I always run into the problem when I try to launch any Office 2010 program, Office, Excel, Word.

The program won't launch or the spreadsheet or document I'm trying to load won't open. At that point, I find other programs won't load as well. I have to go into task manager and kill all of the processes where Excel or Word is trying to open a document.

When I open Windows Explorer, the magnifying glass is spinning over all of the Libraries folders as if it can no longer find the files and folders. That would suggest to me that it may be related to the user profile.

It clears up when I reboot the system.

It started when the pre-service pack 1 updates were installed. Several updates came out on the same day along with service pack 1. Maybe someone else has experienced a similar issue or knows of an issue with one of the updates?

Specs:
Intel Core i5-430M Processor 2.26 GHz, 3MB L3 Cache
Mobile Intel PM55 Express Chipset
GeForce GTS 360M 1GB GDDR5
4GB DDR3 system memory
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit with service pack 1