Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Anyway to install Windows95 on computer running XP?  (Read 11037 times)

dalehelios

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Anyway to install Windows95 on computer running XP?
    « on: March 04, 2011, 08:04:38 PM »
    10 year old IBM ThinkPad runs Windows95 with special Chinese input program. It is acting up. Have 20 or so  3.5 inch Win95 disk. Is it possible to put Win95 on a new partition or a flash drive and dual boot a newer IBM ThinkPad with WinXP so I can continue to use Wind95 without having to learn a new character input program? Any insight/pointer on how to do it and what to look out for?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Anyway to install Windows95 on computer running XP?
    « Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 08:24:09 PM »
    Start with this:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Allocation_Table
    Read carefully.
    Windrows 95 OS2 has a internal 32 bit file system but reduced to a much lower piratical partition size. Windows 95 must be first physical partition on the disk and conform to a limit of 2 GB.  It may not be possible to put Windows XP on the same drive. You will have to research that.
    It may be more piratical to locate an old PC with your version of 95 already installed.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    « Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 02:00:37 PM »
    Computer may not boot Win95 if too much memory is present.  Use Windows Virtual PC:  http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/support/virtual-pc-2007.aspx

dalehelios

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 02:19:30 PM »
      Thanks. I have downloaded Virtual PC 2004 SP1 which can set up Windows 95. I created the VM with a formatted virtual HD. I went on to install the Windows 95 (a total of 20 plus 3.5 inch disks). It went through Disk 1 and showed 2% completed on the installation bar. Then it asked for Disk2 which I put in. I got the following error message: "Could ot find specified script (.CAB) file. Setup cannot continue". Running a directory on Disk2 shows "Precopy2.CAB" on it. What is happening? Disk1 has "precopy1.CAB" on it.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
      « Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 02:30:06 PM »
      Floppy disks don't last forever, 16 yrs is a long time depending on how they were stored.

Experimental Technology

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 09:16:54 AM »
      Try a PC emulator. Bochs or Microsoft Virtual PC are the best options for Windows 95 systems.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
      « Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 12:39:39 PM »
      Try a PC emulator. Bochs or Microsoft Virtual PC are the best options for Windows 95 systems.
      See Reply #3.