Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Wireless speed hopping 2.0 full version  (Read 8065 times)

Sid

Apprentice
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Wireless speed hopping 2.0 full version
    « Reply #15 on: March 14, 2011, 02:53:24 AM »
    getting 54 mbps

How are you getting this figure?  What tool are you using to determine your speed?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #16 on: March 14, 2011, 03:57:05 AM »
    are you moving around with the laptops when their connection speed(s) change? are there microwaves, old cellphones or cordless phones in use? Have you tried changing the channel of the router itself from the default?

Furthermore I am more the 50 feet from the router 4 rooms away.
    maximum range of standard Wireless-G is about 125feet or so; I don't see how you can get the full 54mbps at half that distance.

Either way, your laptops are not "speed-hopping" in any way. That speed indication (I assume you are using the tooltip from the network icon in the notification area or something similar) is merely a estimate made by the computer based on your Signal strength. Your problem is a intermittent signal to noise ratio. I've encountered similar problems and they were always fixed by simply changing the channel of the router from the default.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

acebandet

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2011, 09:37:07 PM »
      The connection speed located under the wireless network connection on the general tab.  Right under duration.  I am NOT talking about the ping speed on an internet speed test.  That is about 1 to 2mbps, on both download and upload.  (That is normal...)  but it is slower than that, like .5 mbps...

acebandet

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2011, 09:41:48 PM »
        Thank you BC_programmer, first solution of this forum, but I have changed the channel to 11 and 1... and every other one lol.

I see no difference, and have rebooted the other laptops.