Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can I Use 2 Wifi Routers together?  (Read 12401 times)

Accessless

Topic Starter

Adviser
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Can I Use 2 Wifi Routers together?
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2011, 01:15:20 AM »
So you've got three different computers all registering different speeds...

Ok, can you run speed tests on each one in isolation (so no other internet activity on the LAN (i.e. one at a time))?

Have you got any wifi analysing tools?  It might be worth seeing what channels you're using, and if there are any clearer channels (if there are lots of wifi networks around).

They all register the same speed once I switched both routers to g. Also for the time being I've gone back to my old setup of just the old router (new router still available once I work out what to do with it).

Yes, that's what I did to give you those speeds earlier.

Cool software link, thanked. I will get back to you after some roaming with the laptop. It is registering a max of 54Mbps atm though so ???.

I use channel 11 always because the Wii is retarded  ::)

Sid

Apprentice
    « Reply #16 on: March 14, 2011, 02:52:18 AM »
    Cool software link, thanked. I will get back to you after some roaming with the laptop. It is registering a max of 54Mbps atm though so ???.

That's because it generates that based on which protocol revision is being used ie b = 11 g & a = 54.

Accessless

Topic Starter

Adviser
      • Yes
    « Reply #17 on: March 14, 2011, 05:04:09 AM »
    So how do I test the transfer rate at any point?

Accessless

Topic Starter

Adviser
      • Yes
    « Reply #18 on: March 14, 2011, 11:26:14 AM »
    Bleh confused.

The best signal and speed I can get is 20Mbps by only using the old router...

Also, lots of wireless traffic where I live. Not sure how some of them work at -10 decibels when I only get -30 @ 1ft ???

Sid

Apprentice
      « Reply #19 on: March 14, 2011, 12:20:32 PM »
      Bleh confused.

The best signal and speed I can get is 20Mbps by only using the old router...

Also, lots of wireless traffic where I live. Not sure how some of them work at -10 decibels when I only get -30 @ 1ft ???

I get -55 at about 15ft (through a stud wall.)

It could be a directional antenna that you're picking up at -10.

You should be aware that you won't get the full 54Mbps if encryption is turned, I'm not sure what the exact overhead is.  Also, the router <-> router communications will cut into the available bandwidth as well.

How old is the ~5Mbps laptop?  It might be an older wifi driver / chipset.  I'm clutching at straws here really, but it couldn't hurt to try to find an updated driver for it.

It might also be worth looking into replacing the wifi kit with something that is N rated.  Seeing as you've got a ridiculously fast connection you would probably see the benefit.  With that said, I suppose that depends on why it is you want a faster connection to the laptop(s) and if you're willing to spend the money.

Also, you could try moving the routers slightly closer together, as if they're on the edge of each others range you'll be getting slower speeds when you're connected to the 2nd router, despite showing an "excellent" connection on your wireless card.

It might be worth testing the wifi on the ~5mbps laptop on the 2nd router and then on the 1st router to see if it's the laptop or the router it's connecting to.  In theory it should be connecting to the strongest router it can find, but it might not be.  You can test this by creating a MAC address filter to prevent the laptop from connecting to one of the routers at a time.  If it is getting the same speed on both, then the problem points to the laptop, if not, it could point to the router(s) and possibly the placement / distance / obstacles in the way.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #20 on: March 14, 2011, 02:12:41 PM »
      When using two routers in the same area, set one to channels 3 and the other to channels 7. Or some combination where they are three or four our channels apart.

Accessless

Topic Starter

Adviser
        • Yes
      « Reply #21 on: March 14, 2011, 02:42:51 PM »
      I get -55 at about 15ft (through a stud wall.)

It could be a directional antenna that you're picking up at -10.

3 of them!?

You should be aware that you won't get the full 54Mbps if encryption is turned, I'm not sure what the exact overhead is.  Also, the router <-> router communications will cut into the available bandwidth as well.

I've not tried turning it off but I wouldn't like to leave it off anyhow.

How old is the ~5Mbps laptop?  It might be an older wifi driver / chipset.  I'm clutching at straws here really, but it couldn't hurt to try to find an updated driver for it.

Couple of years, works fine. It just gets to go to all the worst places cos it's portable :p (usually works up to 20) Drivers are newer than what is currently available. Does not like 5GHz wifi.

It might also be worth looking into replacing the wifi kit with something that is N rated.  Seeing as you've got a ridiculously fast connection you would probably see the benefit.  With that said, I suppose that depends on why it is you want a faster connection to the laptop(s) and if you're willing to spend the money.

I have a brand new "Super" router from Virgin Media, the problem is that I'm not getting a strong enough signal from it. That said I have been thinking about a new secondary router as the current one is now quite old and second hand reconditioned in the first place. Never knock reconditioned stuff though, sometimes it's better than the brand new stuff. The rest of the time it's just as good.

Also, you could try moving the routers slightly closer together, as if they're on the edge of each other's range you'll be getting slower speeds when you're connected to the 2nd router, despite showing an "excellent" connection on your wireless card.

They are about 1.5 meters away from each other connected by an ethernet cable.

It might be worth testing the wifi on the ~5mbps laptop on the 2nd router and then on the 1st router to see if it's the laptop or the router it's connecting to.  In theory it should be connecting to the strongest router it can find, but it might not be.  You can test this by creating a MAC address filter to prevent the laptop from connecting to one of the routers at a time.  If it is getting the same speed on both, then the problem points to the laptop, if not, it could point to the router(s) and possibly the placement / distance / obstacles in the way.

I have connected it to both access points individually and get a slower result when both are active. Signal strength issues aside, it could just be that I'm demanding too much from the receiving hardware, it is after all either old, cheap or both.

When using two routers in the same area, set one to channels 3 and the other to channels 7. Or some combination where they are three or four our channels apart.

Tried that. Spammed the entire spectrum with my network still to no avail (channels 1-11 I believe it was)