Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: 1 of 2 computers wont connect wired anymore suddenly  (Read 3495 times)

DavidBlisster

1 of 2 computers wont connect wired anymore suddenly
« on: March 14, 2011, 09:42:48 PM »
Hi,

Thanks for reading my post.

I am at a hotel long term which has wired internet.  My girlfriend and I each have a laptop.  We got sick of taking turns plugging into the internet so I decided to hook up a router to use it as a splitter.  I soon realized that wasnt going to work and did some research.  I realized my problem and configured the router to bridged mode and disabled DHCP using the instructions I found here.  http://njcomputerguys.blogspot.com/2010/03/bridging-mode-for-verizon-westell-a90.html .

I thought i was a genius and solved our problem as my computer started working great.  But now her computer wont connect even when plugged directly into the wall!  And I did nothing with her laptop except plug the cat 5 into it.  All the configuring was done from my computer.

I am stumped and she is pissed.

Her computer wouldnt even get to the router config screen if that is info that would help.

Please help.  She needs her computer to submit her college assignments.

We both use vista , the router is a westell a-90.

Thanks in advance - David

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: 1 of 2 computers wont connect wired anymore suddenly
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 12:22:22 AM »
You need to discuss this with the hotel management.Putting a router into their system can do harm to the system. Like an address conflict, which will stall the system.
You should instead do wireless sharing between the two computers.  One PC wired, both with wireless, network shearing turn on for the PC that has both wired and wireless. Sharing turned on. Ad-Hoc wireless. That should not interfere with the hotel network.

Sid

Apprentice
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: 1 of 2 computers wont connect wired anymore suddenly
    « Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 07:21:10 AM »
    You need to discuss this with the hotel management.Putting a router into their system can do harm to the system. Like an address conflict, which will stall the system.
    You should instead do wireless sharing between the two computers.  One PC wired, both with wireless, network shearing turn on for the PC that has both wired and wireless. Sharing turned on. Ad-Hoc wireless. That should not interfere with the hotel network.

If the router isn't issuing IP addresses (ie DHCP is off) then it shouldn't cause any problems.

I'd be tempted to have a look at the settings for the network connection on the GF's laptop to make sure it's setup for DHCP (Obtain an IP address automatically & Obtain DNS server address automatically), and also try running ipconfig /release followed by ipconfig /renew.

If you're still having problems, run ipconfig /all on the troublesome machine and post the results.

To run ipconfig:

Start -> run -> type "cmd" -> press Enter -> type ipconfig (with relevant "switches" [items after the "/"]) -> press Enter