Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Poor quality, overcomplex network  (Read 2154 times)

boodo330

Poor quality, overcomplex network
« on: March 24, 2011, 07:55:18 PM »
Hi,

I have a connection that has been causing much frustration amount the wireless users in the family. We have 3 devices+1 ipod touch that use this wireless network.(sometimes one is off) 2 computers are desktop and use a wired connection and work perfectly.

The problem is that the wireless network is horrible. Sometimes one wireless device loses connection and when the network is unplugged and replugged the device sometimes gets its connection back, but usually another device loses its connection. The quality changes throughout the day.

When all devices are working there is constant lags in connection and this is especially frustrating for the gaming users in the network.

I asked this question before, but the person asked for more info about where all the connections go and I didn't really know how to answer this. Now I managed to get a complete set up of our wireless network(which is probably more complicated and bloated than it should)

We have 4 network devices(I'm not totally sure if they are routers or modems so I'll give their names)

1. Linksys WAD54G

2. Netgear Wireless Print Server(not sure if this is needed)

3. We have a black network device and it has no name on it.(Has the most plugs so I guess its a modem? It's the newest piece of equipment, but it didn't really help the internet connection.)

4. A VOIP phone(I think this is the problem. Also if you disconnect it the internet goes down)

Here's the complete set up.
1. Linksys
-connection to the VOIP phone with a blue wire
-black wire for power

2. Netgear Wireless print server
-Black wire to modem
-wire for power

3. Unknown black modem
-white cord to wall socket
-gray cord to VOIP phone
-Dark blue cord to one desktop comp. Wired connection
-one cord to another desktop. Wired.
-another cord to the Netgear Wireless print server
-one cord for power

4. VOIP Phone
-one wire to the black modem
-one blue wire to linksys

osmo

Rookie

• Without pain... There is no Love...
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: Poor quality, overcomplex network
    « Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 11:53:14 AM »
    if you are running DSL. if ONE of you are watching a you tube video, and another one of you are trying to play WoW. you are going to lag like crazy. On top of that if you have voip included in all of this to tie up even more bandwidth... it would make sense that it is slow regardless if you would ask me.
      But besides all that, you might want to think about getting a new router. how old is the one that you have? I have been googling that model number and I can't find any info on it at all..

Sid

Apprentice
      • Experience: Experienced
      Re: Poor quality, overcomplex network
      « Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 10:18:52 AM »
      I'd check your WiFi channel.

Use something like InSsider to figure out which channels are the clearest and then use one of them.

Is it possible for you to draw a simple map with the layout of all of these devices and upload it here?