Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: SoundMAX Integrated HD Audio weak, especially external speakers  (Read 8395 times)

lectrocrew

Topic Starter

Mentor

• ole dog learning new tricks
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • My first self-built computer
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
This is on my HP Compaq 6715b notebook (in specs).
System sounds are fair but playing videos I can barely hear it unless it's late at night with everything else quiet.
I have a set of JBL external speakers that sound great when hooked to any of my desktops, and sound good hooked to my Toshiba laptop (in specs).
This sound card is integrated (see link) and I do have an empty card slot (One Type I/II PC Card slot, 16-bit PCMCIA and 32-bit CardBus). But I can't afford an external sound card right now if I can find the problem with this internal card.
I checked device manager for driver updates but it says it has the latest available (4/24/2008).
What can I do first to troubleshoot this?
Thanks,
Mike

Linux711

Mentor

• Yes
    • Programming Blog
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: SoundMAX Integrated HD Audio weak, especially external speakers
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 10:38:01 AM »
I know this may sound obvious, but did you check the volume for all outputs.

Start -> Run -> sndvol32
YouTube

"Genius is persistence, not brain power." - Me

"Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"" - LaVolpe

lectrocrew

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 11:52:46 AM »
The mixer panel only shows 2 volume settings - speakers and system sounds. Both are set to max.

Kurtiskain

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 08:44:10 PM »
The mixer panel only shows 2 volume settings - speakers and system sounds. Both are set to max.

Is this while running a video? The volume control in the mixer won't show unless it is active
Have you checked the volume level on the video player itself?

Easier way to get to the mixer is to single click the small speaker icon in the bottom right of the screen on the taskbar, and selecting mixer.

lectrocrew

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 10:32:06 PM »
Is this while running a video?

Yes mainly when playing a video. Whether it's played from a file in my documents on C drive or from an external drive. The onboard speaker volume is weak and external speaker volume is almost un-hearable.

The volume control in the mixer won't show unless it is active
Have you checked the volume level on the video player itself?

"Video player"? I have Nero 8 Ultra Edition and VLC media Player. Audio is the same with both. (I did have WMP before I un-installed it, but results were the same with it also).

When I connect the laptop to the TV and use the amp on the TV I get good sound if I turn the TV volume up. At this point, if I disconnect the laptop from the TV, then the TV volume is way too loud for viewing regular TV channels via cable providers box input.

External speakers are JBL Pro pc speakers (non-amplified) that sound awesome when connected to any of my desktops with good sound cards but only marginally better this this pc when connected to my Toshiba laptop.

Sounds to me like I may need a high performance sound card for this pc. Will this increase increase onboard sound also or just external audio output?

Easier way to get to the mixer is to single click the small speaker icon in the bottom right of the screen on the taskbar, and selecting mixer.
That's how I get to the 2 volume controls I posted (speakers and system sounds).

Most of my other pC's have several controls available in the mixer control panel. Why does this only have the 2 (speakers and system sounds)

And thanks to you for your help Kurtiskain.  :)

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 10:48:02 PM »
Try Winamp(Free Version) --> http://www.winamp.com/media-player/en although not all video types are supported but I think it has better audio output with a preset equalizer(full bass & treble) and an "on" button for amplified sound experience.

lectrocrew

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 12:05:12 AM »
Thanks, and yes the Winamp audio output is better with pre-amp setting @ +12 and all equalizers at max, but it's not going to be the answer here I'm afraid. I think we are just treating the symptom with this approach. I'm going to need more audio card output volume somehow.
I also connected the PC audio external output to a home stereo amplifier - then connected that amp output to these same JBL speakers. The sound is better, but only with the amp (10watts per channel RMS into 8 ohms) volume pegged at max.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 01:41:22 AM »
Check your manual. Somewhere there is another volume control.

lectrocrew

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 09:09:32 PM »
Check your manual. Somewhere there is another volume control.
I can't find it.
The only audio related icons I see in Control Panel is "Sound". And there are limited options there.

Attached is a screen shot:
or here

I see no Soundmax audio software offered from HP for my pc - only drivers.
I have the latest sound driver and have tried an earlier driver = same results.
The HP user manual and specifications manual have no usable info pertaining to 'low' volume that I haven't ruled out thus far.
???

[recovering disk space - old attachment deleted by admin]

Kurtiskain

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 12:12:08 AM »
After reading the above posts...You state that the JBL speakers are non-amplified? As far as I know, there are very few sounds cards that amplify the sound enough for speakers to function without the use of external power.

I had an old HP where the sound card connected directly to the PSU to provide pre-amped output to the speakers which were also non-amplified, they did not need an external power connection.

I have an PCI-e X-FI Titanium in my rig, and even that isn't manly enough to power a basic pair of speakers.

have you tried another pair in the laptop? Ones that require power from a wall socket preferably.
If you don't have a pair handy, stroll your laptop down to your equivalent of Noel Leemings/Bond and Bond, im guessing something like circuit city or something.
Stores like that here in NZ have speaker systems set up for you to try out (Many wasted afternoons blasting music from MP3 players on $1500 speaker sets ;D)
These will be passively powered so they will provide you with the test you need.