Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: driver/installation disk  (Read 14711 times)

mark_c

driver/installation disk
« on: June 26, 2004, 08:42:35 PM »
HI, I have a problem with trying to get a lucent winmodem going. The hardware (internal card) is in and the hardware is found by win98se and we have the driver for the modem but windows keeps coming up with "insert Lucent winmodem installation disk" which we don't have as the tech guy who installed the moden originally has long gone and my pal has never had the installation disk.

After shifting his comp this problem started. "Modem not found or already in use."
Don't know what to do next. Any suggestions much appreciatted.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: driver/installation disk
    « Reply #1 on: June 26, 2004, 10:03:44 PM »
    mark......go to ......
    http://members.driverguide.com/ums/index.php?action=l&furl=aHR0cDovL21lbWJlcnMuZHJpdmVyZ3VpZGUuY29tL2luZGV4LnBocD9hY3Rpb249ZG9zZWFyY2gmcW0wPVNGQTEwMHR4JnFhNT0xMiZxYTY9OTYyJmRwPTImc209YiZqbWQ9YW5k&ac=1088308776v612290

sign in using..... user ID      "driver"
                         Password      "all"

go down to the modem section and look for the Lucent Winmodem and download the driver.
    Hope this helps ...

dl65  ???

If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

mark_c

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2004, 05:47:32 PM »
    Many thanks dl65, but we have already drivers for the modem, it's the "installation disk" problem we can't get around. We've even got a generic driver from Agere, who have taken over Lucent and will try that too. But thanks, will cehck out your link. mc

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2004, 06:14:53 AM »
    When it asks you to insert the installation disk, does it let you choose a path?

If it does, show it the directory of where the patch is and it should work.

mark_c

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2004, 02:14:37 PM »
    HI, No we don't get the option of a path, Thanks for all your help but still stumped.  Got a driver from Agere and installed that ok but we still get "Windows cannot detect modem."

We took the modem out and cleared out all the references to it (except Modem in Control Panel) and then put it back and went through the new hardware wizard but still no dice.

Don't know what to do next. Thanks, though. mc

Raptor

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2004, 02:29:48 PM »
    You may be able to download the files that should have come on the installation diskette.

See if the manufacturer has them on its website.

mark_c

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2004, 04:08:37 PM »
    Well, thanks for all the help but we're stumped now. Back to square one with windows not detecting the modem. (Win 98SE).

I wonder if it got burnt up in a thunderstorm. Would you get a message saying "cannot detect modem" or would you get a message saying "modem damaged by thunderstorm"? Just wondering. cheers mc

syntax_21

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2004, 08:40:55 PM »
    Go to My Computer > Properties > Device Manager > Network Adapters then remove the the device (obviously, not the hardware)... restart the windows. It is very obvious that the modem would still be in the Control Panel unless of course you will remove its driver using the Add/Remove Program in Control Panel...

Shutdown the computer, then remove the hardware device... Turn on the computer without the network device... That's it!

But wait, if you want to use the network device, then again... insert the network device in the slot alloted for the hardware... if this time the Windows did not detect your modem, there is a great chance and possibility that your modem is already defective or you hadn't inserted the modem very well.... If the windows detect the modem... then locate the driver that you had...

Why make things so much complicated????

mark_c

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2004, 08:03:43 PM »
    thanks for that syntax have done that and still the same darn thing. I'm beginning to think maybe the modem has had it but can't convince my pal to get it checked out coz he's broke and doesn't want to pay a shop to tell him it's no good and charge 30 40 dollars whatever. Thanks for all your help.