Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: nvidia control panel and launcher.exe problem  (Read 4242 times)

Crafty

nvidia control panel and launcher.exe problem
« on: March 31, 2011, 11:04:21 AM »
I hope someone here can help me out because this is driving me nuts. The problem been is that I have 2 games that both launch using the the same name launch.exe. These games, Il2 and lockon, do both launch independently, but I want to change the setting in nvidia control panel for both these game sepratly. The problem is each time I try to add them in the nvidia control panel it just keeps recognizes the lockon launch.exe. I have tried changing the name of the il2 launch.exe file, but then the game wont launch. Can someone please help me out here? Both these files are names launch.exe Thanks!!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 11:15:31 AM by Crafty »

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: nvidia control panel and launcher.exe problem
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 05:33:47 PM »
Create a seperate hardware profile for playing each game...
Providing this is XP or older...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Crafty

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 07:58:03 PM »
Create a seperate hardware profile for playing each game...
Providing this is XP or older...

I have windows 7 ultimate and this is driving me nuts. I have just bought another game and guess what? It uses the same name as the other two to launch "launcher.exe." What the *censored* happened to naming them with a few letters using the name of the games like bh2.exe etc. So just to recap I now have 3 "launcher.exe" files that are for three different games and the Nvidia control panel only recognizes one because they all have the same name. Therefore I cannot independently change the setting for all three of these games in the Nvidia control panel. Anyone got any ideas - Please?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 10:46:04 PM »
 almost every game I've encountered that has a "launcher" program, the launcher is almost always a "stub" program that runs another program, usually after a few Anti-piracy and CD checks and so forth. So when you have the games running, see what their processes show up as in task manager to be sure  that they are really "launcher.exe", and not some other program. If they <is> called launcher.exe, you could try renaming them to a more descriptive name and see if that works- then you can add it to Nvidia control panel.

One more thing about NVidia control panel:

Unless you have a specific reason to tweak the lower level settings (CUDA, Extension String length limit, Max pre-rendered frames, Multi-display ,etc), it is usually better (and far less stressful :P) to simply change the configurations in-game.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.