Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Booting failure  (Read 9424 times)

denisaf

Topic Starter

Hopeful

Booting failure
    « on: April 01, 2011, 08:00:07 PM »
    I have an old PC with Windows 98SE. Booting it today led to a screen with details in white on black of what had happened to that stage and then it stopped. Pressing del or alt+f2 did nothing so I shut it down. I tried again with the same result. However, on the third try it booted as normal. Is there anything I should do other than the normal precautionary back up?

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Booting failure
    « Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 01:45:36 PM »
    Probably the CMOS battery is weak, replace it.  CR-2032, available everywhere (i.e. drugstore).

denisaf

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 07:15:24 PM »
      Thank you. I will get a CMOS battery and lift the lid off the PC. I am not familiar with the layout but I presume I will be able to see where the CMOS battery is installed.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
      « Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 07:18:41 PM »
      How to replace the CMOS battery
      Most sit horizontal, as pictured, but some are vertical (on edge).
      No guarantee that's what's wrong, but "old PC with Windows 98SE", probably is original battery.

denisaf

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 07:14:52 AM »
        Thanks for that link. I have read the details of replacing the CMOS battery and resetting CMOS. There is quite a bit of uncertainty about which keys to press. I will take the lid off tomorrow. I left this computer on for three days so the battery could have been recharged.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
        « Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 01:36:25 PM »
        CMOS batteries are not rechargeable.

denisaf

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2011, 12:02:30 AM »
          It has been pointed out to me that if it was a CMOS battery problem, the date and time would be out. It has been suggested that the problem could be failure of the hard disk to run up. I do not have a disk diagnostics for this PC so I have to take the top off to read the label. I have not taken the top off this PC before. 4 screws secure the side plates to the back plate. however, these side plates are also held in by the top plate and that is riveted to the back plate. I know I am missing something simple. I would welcome becoming informed!