Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: can a date change cause lost files?  (Read 2159 times)

Dr._Jalali

can a date change cause lost files?
« on: August 19, 2005, 05:25:25 PM »
 ::) Now this is one of those embarrassing mistakes I tend to get myself into and can't get out of, but here goes:   The other day I  clicked on the time and date icon on the right hand bottom of the page.  I wanted to look at a calendar to find out exactly what date it would be, eight weeks from now.  The date and time properties came up, I looked at the calendar, found the date I wanted, and must have done something to reset my computer to that date!  Now, all my letters and files that I save are dated October 10.  Here's my question: If I change the date from October 10, back to August whatever, will I lose the files I saved in the two days since this has happened?  I mean, since I will "go back in time" will I "virtually" wipe out whatever took place in those couple of days.  LIke, if we're back to August, how can my computer "remember" what I did in October?  What can I do, Please, to fix the date and not lose any files, thanks.

Sidewinder

Guru

• Experience: Familiar
Re: can a date change cause lost files?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2005, 06:14:32 PM »
Hey Dr. October,

No, your files will not be wiped. The date is just an file attribute and generally is not used except for utilities like XCOPY. There are actually programs (TOUCH is one of them) that allow you to change file dates and times at will.

Join the present, the future will take care of itself. ;D
« Last Edit: August 19, 2005, 06:15:17 PM by Sidewinder »
The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination.

-- Albert Einstein

Dr._Jalali

Re: can a date change cause lost files?
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2005, 09:25:28 PM »
Thanks.  And I appreciate the laugh too  ;)