Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How to connect to internet from wireless to wired  (Read 2584 times)

sorrylove

Topic Starter

Beginner

How to connect to internet from wireless to wired
    « on: April 10, 2011, 02:49:33 AM »
    I have three computers, A , B and C. A connect with cable to the router, B and C by using wireless adapters. Now I want B computer change to using wire/cable.My provider is AOL,OS is window XP. I called AOL few days ago, they couldnt help! They just asked me type 192.168.0.1 on Run or on the search bar, it either couldnt find or couldnt open.I had tried to reboot the router and I was also used a new RJ 45 but both wont work!Can you help? Put it this way, can you tell me how to connect to internet from wireless to wired  for the computer because it is working by using wireless adapter! Thanks.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: How to connect to internet from wireless to wired
    « Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 11:24:26 PM »
    Did you ever use wired connections on those laptop before or did it work before?
    Check first under device manager for your LAN card if its with flag/mark. Have you check if you have run the network wizard to create a LAN connection?

DaveTheRave

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
      Re: How to connect to internet from wireless to wired
      « Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 02:18:18 PM »
      wow I feel for you I really do.  AOL are pants, but anyway thats another story.

You didn't stay but I guess your Router has more than 1 network point to plug network cables into.  i.e. more ports similar to what computer A is plugged into.  The 2nd port on the router connect to computer B.

OK goto Start -->  control panel --> network connections --> and locate your "local area network"  right click this icon.  is there an option to Enable??  if so select it.  If there is no "Enable" then it already is.

click START --> run --> type "cmd"  in the black windows type "ipconfig"  you should get a response providing you with an IP address usually 192.168.0.2.  Your default gateway or the Router will probably have an IP address of 192.168.0.1.  as per the AOL helpdesk.

OK now type "ping 192.168.0.1" if you get a reply this is good news.  now try and "ping www.google.com"  if you get a response you are on-line and have internet capability.

launch your prefered browser and surf to your heart contents.

If you have problems at this point go to (in IE) Tools --> Internet options --> connections --> LAN settings --> select "automatically detect settings" make sure all other options on that window are unchecked.

good luck  :)