Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Using TV as PC Monitor Please Help  (Read 3026 times)

Anyname

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Using TV as PC Monitor Please Help
    « on: April 10, 2011, 07:23:45 PM »
    Hello,
    I have an older Dell notebook with Windows XP and recently hooked up my new flatscreen TV as the monitor using a monitor cable with audio. It was great! The computer screen was black and the TV was the monitor.  But now, it won't work that way. The TV becomes a second monitor with only the desktop picture, no icons, etc. and the computer monitor stays on.
    I have tried changing the display settings, which are very limited, not what is on all the internet "How Tos", and I tried system restore to go back to whatever settings the computer had before.  Nothing helps.
    How can I get the TV to be the primary monitor again?  (all I did before was connect the cable to the computer and the TV and it worked fine.)

Display settings show 1. Multiple Monitor and 2. Plug and Play (no other options). I tried enable and disable on both. I tried making screen 2 the default screen.  The "Advanced" tab only shows properties and driver. When I right click on the icon screens 1 & 2, both have the Primary and Attached options greyed out. (i can't change them)

I tried using the Function Keys but it only makes lines across the TV screen.
    Please help if you can.
    Stella

roccenstein

Hopeful
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      Re: Using TV as PC Monitor Please Help
      « Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 02:51:08 AM »
      When I right click on the icon screens 1 & 2, both have the Primary and Attached options greyed out.

Do you see this after you've connected the TV, or even when the TV is not connected?  Try changing the settings when it isn't connected to the TV.  My brother had issues connecting his PC to his flatscreen, but in his case it was due to the PC's onboard video card not being able to handle the TV's higher resolution.

Anyname

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 12:12:45 PM »
        Yes, it is the same with or without the connection.  When I try to move screen #2 over to the other side of screen #1, a pop-up window says, if I enable this moitor, it will be used as part of the desktop, and I can move icons onto it, etc.

If I knew what the settings were when it worked the first time, I would try to go back to that.  System Restore didn't work either.
        I changed the (Multiple Monitors on Dell) to (Default Monitor) somewhere else on the computer and disabled the 2nd screen but it changes itself back.  ???

Computer_Commando

Hacker
        • Certifications: List
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 12:31:36 PM »
        Try Fn-F5 on laptop.  Not sure if F5, but one of the "hot-keys" should turn it on and off.

Anyname

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 06:42:58 PM »
          I got the Function Key to work now, but that doesn't change Screen #2 into the Primary Screen.
          "Windows Help" says to click on Screen #2 and check the box that says "Make this the Primary", but that option is grayed-out.  Whether it is connected or not, enabled or not, turned off or on, the option is not available. Something is causing it to be grayed-out.  :-\

Computer_Commando

Hacker
          • Certifications: List
          • Experience: Expert
          « Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 11:50:00 AM »
          Was the TV powered on before the computer?

Anyname

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 12:48:33 AM »
            That is the answer!!! :D
            The TV has to be powered on 1st and then quickly use the Function Key on the computer, because the TV will turn itself off if it doesn't get a reading from the computer right away.
            I also had to change the screen resolution on the computer.
            It is working great now.
            Thanks so much for all the help.
            Stella

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            • Experience: Beginner
            « Reply #7 on: April 14, 2011, 06:27:56 AM »
            Nice catch Computer Commando !
            " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "