Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: STOP error  (Read 5797 times)

squirrel

Re: STOP error
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2005, 09:52:10 AM »
choose safe mode with command prompt. then type the command the error tells you to type.

m216beachhouse

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2005, 09:59:37 AM »
After more thought, my husband has a vague memory that when he rebooted after installing the patch, he had to hit alt+ctrl+del twice to get to the administrator password prompt, and it took longer than normal to respond.  Might be nothing, but that was the only change he noticed.

squirrel

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2005, 10:01:42 AM »
points to last post. :)

m216beachhouse

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2005, 10:04:29 AM »
Raptor - no he didn't change anything after loading the patch, just logged onto Yahoo and played bridge.  I will pass on the download advice.  I will copy the error message down when I try some of the ideas later today and if still a problem I'll post it here.

Squirrel - thanks.  We tried all of the options and every time it threw us over to the blue screen with the STOP error message.  I plan to try again later because that should work and perhaps I missed something last night.

Raptor

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2005, 10:17:04 AM »
Providing us with the error message may help us find a solution for you.

merlin_2

« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2005, 01:43:52 PM »
Only can get command prompt by booting using and old ME CD......?

Is this pc setup for dual boot.............

m216beachhouse

« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2005, 01:47:30 PM »
It can boot from hard drive, CD or disk.

m216beachhouse

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2005, 06:14:15 AM »
 :D :D :D

Thanks to all who posted yesterday, I was able to fix th problem last night.  For those interested in the issue:

The STOP error was an Inaccessible Boot Device error.  As millerlogic suggested in the chat room, I downloaded the boot disks for Windows 2000 from bootdisk.com (very helpful) and used that to boot from my A: drive.  Then I went into recovery mode as explained in the computerhope.com reference material to get a DOS prompt.  I could not run CHKDSK from there though because the Autochk.exe file was not in the startup directory or on an available CD Rom.  I rebooted and tried to run in safe mode, but the computer froze while trying to load Windows.  I then rebooted again, hit F8 again, and went to last known good configuration.  This had not worked the original night we encountered the problem, but with the boot disk, it did.  I was able to run CHKDSK and it performed a substantial number of repairs to bad sectors and indexes.  When it finished and rebooted, I was back in business.  No files lost.  I then backed up the registry and boot files and other sensitive files.

Thanks to all for the help.  I'm glad I found this site.  I'm sure a service could have fixed it, but it was much more entertaining to be able to learn how to do it myself.

Raptor

« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2005, 07:13:46 AM »
performed a substantial number of repairs to bad sectors and

Bad or lost sectors indicate a failing Hard Disk Drive.

Obtain diagnostic software from the HDD manufacturer and test the HDD.

m216beachhouse

« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2005, 07:46:29 AM »
Interesting, thanks for the info.  This computer, a Compaq Presario 1700T notebook, about 4 yrs old, has gone through quite a few hard drives (I think this is number 3), so your warning is probably on target.  I have never been satisfied with its performance, so maybe it is time to go for a new one.  We do have a spare hard drive, so that will keep us going for a while till we find one we like.  

Do you have any general rules on why hard drives might fail at an alarming rate? Could it be related to environmental or usage factors?  It rarely is used anywhere but in our home, either on a lap (go figure) or on a desk.  No rough duty at all.  Seems strange to me and I don't want to repeat a purchase mistake if its there are known bad models (the hard drive is a Toshiba).

Mac

« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2005, 02:49:26 PM »
If you can get a loan of an XP CD you can boot to the Recovery Console and type: chkdsk /r

Missed page two... :(

Glad to see you got it repaired though. :)

Three drives in four years is ... ridiculous. My first computer's drive is still running after 17 years.

This is a new drive that replaced a four year old drive that failed.

Quality control checks quite often grade components into  inferior grades which are then sold off cheap. Just bad practice really.

It might be better to buy direct from the drive manufacturer, or non-OEM agent and get a separate warranty just for the drive.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2005, 02:58:21 PM by Mac »

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #26 on: August 19, 2005, 06:43:56 PM »
    It rarely is used anywhere but in our home, either on a lap (go figure) or on a desk.

Turn it upside down and make sure you are not blocking the fan ventilation holes with your lap.  ;)