Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Clone your Laptop. How?  (Read 24039 times)

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Clone your Laptop. How?
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2011, 03:48:21 PM »
Okay, I give up.

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2011, 07:41:24 PM »
I think that the Seagate programs are modified so that they will not start if a Seagate product is not found in the system. So just keep an old Seagate thing installed somewhere and use the program on the other drives. The check is made during the start up of the program.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2011, 11:11:08 PM »
They aren't...
Just tested my Seagate backup CD with no Seagate HDD;s on my benchtest machine...

Worked fine.

However...carry on...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2011, 12:11:50 AM »
I stand corrected. It was another  program that did that.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2011, 01:50:33 AM »
I stand corrected. It was another  program that did that.
It is Seagate discwizard. It's documented on their site. It requires either a Seagate or a Maxtor drive installed, otherwise it errors out with "Seagate Discwizard was unable to detect a Seagate or Maxtor drive installed on this system" or something to that effect:

Also, from an old thread about Disc/DiskWizard:

Quote from: Seagate rep.
It only works if the drives show up with a ST model number

The acronis-based product for WD drives (Acronis TrueImage WD Edition) works similarly but requires a WD model number on the drive. Neither work if you are using a RAID controller, either, since they see the model number for the RAID controller rather than the model number for the drive. They may have "fixed" this by simply removing the check altogether in more recent versions.

Well, I'd still like to know how...........
And the above should answer the question. it doesn't actually change how The product operates, (in that it could work just fine as-is with any drive) but the manufacturer-specific, free offerings have checks to try to make sure the free software is only used with drives by the manufacturer that provides the acronis bundle. (either the "WD Edition" or Seagate discwizard, or possibly other manufacturers as well).
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

lapwlover

Starter

« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2011, 12:07:31 AM »
    Clone your Laptop? You mean clone the whole disks of your Laptop? If so you can refer to this article.

not only for windows 7 OS but for Vista/2000/xp

Link removed...
    « Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 12:36:21 PM by patio »

Salmon Trout

« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2011, 11:46:12 AM »
    2 old threads so far revived by lapwlover spamming for Easeus Todo Backup. They must be desperate to increase their Google page ranking.

TheShadow

Hopeful

• Retiree in Florida
      • Yes
      • The Doctor
    « Reply #22 on: November 28, 2011, 05:57:58 PM »
    After reading through this old thread, I'm still scratching my head and wondering,,, why would anyone want to Clone a Laptop drive?  Backup to an external drive, YES, as a compressed Image File,  but clone?  Maybe someone doesn't truly understand what clone means.  Eh?

As for Acronis True Image, that comes with a Seagate drive or with the download of Seatools, from Seagate, as was plainly stated, the program has been tweaked to only work if it sees a Seagate drive in the system.  It's been like that for a long time.
    When Maxtor was still making drives, the Acronis that came on the Maxblast disk with a new Maxtor drive, would only work if the program saw a Maxtor drive, somewhere in the system.  That made it pretty Undesirable for anyone working on many different brands of HD's and computers.  It wasn't TECH Friendly!

I got my first copy of Ghost 2002 backup software as a gift, on a drivers disk that came with a motherboard. 
    It was not motherboard or disk drive sensitive and would work equally well on all systems.  Ghost is actually far superior to other backup software. 

8)
    Experience is truly the best teacher.
    Backup! Backup! Backup!  Ghost Rocks!

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    « Reply #23 on: November 28, 2011, 06:04:22 PM »
    After reading through this old thread, I'm still scratching my head and wondering,,, why would anyone want to Clone a Laptop drive? 

To replace it.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

kimsland

Intermediate

• Leaving, CH can obviously do without my support.
      « Reply #24 on: November 28, 2011, 06:18:10 PM »
      After reading through this old thread, I'm still scratching my head and wondering,,, why would anyone want to Clone a Laptop drive?  Backup to an external drive, YES, as a compressed Image File,  but clone?
      That's how I backup my drives, a compressed Clone (bootable) image.
      What is your definition of 'Clone'?

spock

Intermediate

Copying Hard Drives
        « Reply #25 on: February 27, 2012, 05:00:05 PM »
        I have this device from Aluratek which clones hard drives directly. You have to physically remove the hard drive. You put the (SATA) hard drive you want to copy on one side and the master on the other side. About the only limitation is the the copied drive has to be equal to or larger than the master copy. It cannot be smaller. I have several hard drives with different o.s.'s on them. They are pre-loaded with the programs I use most.  If a hard drive crashes, or gets a virus that  necessates formatting, I just pop the "bad" hard drive in with a "good" one. In a matter of minutes, I'm up and running  again. You may obtain one from Cyberguys for about $90.00-100.00. ;D
        "It's always something!"-Gilda Radner