Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Is Linux OS virus free?  (Read 6923 times)

rsubax72

Topic Starter

• antivirus Coupon codes
  • Experience: Beginner
Is Linux OS virus free?
« on: April 25, 2011, 04:32:25 PM »
It is said that Linux OS has no danger from viruses because it is virus proof. Is it true? If yes, why? And then why not Microsoft Windows?

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
Re: Is Linux OS virus free?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 04:44:27 PM »
No...
Not true at all.

The fact of the matter is most malware writers target Windows simply because it happens to be 90% of the market share out there...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Computer_Commando

Hacker
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 04:49:32 PM »
Homework.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 05:05:55 PM »
Hope i keep up my A minus averadge...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 05:34:09 PM »
Look at this:
10 Worst Computer Viruses of All Time
Or this:
Top Ten Most Destructive Computer Viruses of All Time
From above link:
The main reason why these computer viruses caused so much damage world-wide was because most people were not aware of such threats and were not protected against them.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 05:57:05 PM »
Stuff

That has nothing to do with Linux.

Also, Linux isn't an Operating System...
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 08:39:45 PM »
That has nothing to do with Linux.
Also, Linux isn't an Operating System...
Therefore it can not have a virus.
----------------------------------------------------
What Is Linux: An Overview of the Linux Operating System | Linux.com
Linux is, in simplest terms, an operating system. It is the software on a computer that enables applications and the computer operator to access the devices on the computer to perform desired functions.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2011, 09:44:47 PM »
Linux is, in simplest terms, an operating system. It is the software on a computer that enables applications and the computer operator to access the devices on the computer to perform desired functions.
This is plain wrong. I mean, yes, if somebody says "I run linux" it's clear they mean that they run an Operating System that uses the Linux kernel, but Linus didn't make XFCE/Gnome/etc; just the kernel. Although I think calling it "GNU/Linux" would be equally stupid because not all free software used on Linux systems are GNU. Linux is the Kernel; the rest is other free software; for example, the desktop environments aren't "linux"; for the most part they work equally well on other kernels.

Therefore it can not have a virus.
here's an idea, stop making stupid assertions and or drawing out arguments I never made to argue against. I never said Linux-based systems c ouldn't have a virus. Of course they can. *censored*, if you ask me they are more susceptible than windows, merely because of the fact that there are so many different people working on various Open Source projects and they aren't all necessarily audited properly for things like buffer overflows which can easily allow any user to simply become the root user with a single command. Of course, the thing is, the problem in that case has absolutely nothing to do with Linux based Operating systems and everything to do with the fact that C is for some reason still a preferred language, despite the fact that it practically works against the creation of "secure" code. ("secure" in the context of exploitation).

In any case,No operating System is immune from viruses. a virus is pretty much just a program that attempts to promulgate itself through either the network (worm) or by copying itself into memory and then copying itself to removable media and then infecting other machines through that media.

Two things prevent virus makers from bothering with either a Linux or even in many cases a Mac virus:

-the vast majority of computer users run Windows. Fact.
-most Linux users are more computer savvy then the average user.

So if you had to choose from developing a piece of malware that could run on hundreds of millions of machines of which a large majority were technical sycophants who will believe any messages you put up claiming to be "from the system", or a few hundred thousand machines whose users were smart enough to know you and anyone who looks like you were a scumbag, which would you choose? It's pretty obvious.

And if you've ever had to use XCode you know why nobody bothers to write Mac viruses. *censored* I'm convinced the vast majority of people who use xcode only do so because they are paid, likely by companies trying to get some offshoot application on the app store. I used it once and it was like I went through a time warp where compiler and IDE technology had regressed to the state of Turbo Pascal 2.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2011, 10:09:53 PM »
Mostly I would agree, BC.
Windows is the big target.
Apple has a tight ship.
Linux users are savy.

But Linux is called an Operating System by common usage.
...the most popular six are:
Windows XP
Windows 7
Mac OS X
Ubuntu (Linux-Based)
Unix-based OS (other than linux OS's)
Other Linux OS

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_are_the_six_most_popular_operating_systems_in_computers#ixzz1KbA5f9GL

It is like asking for a '"Banana Split" in an ice cream parlor. They will understand that the split banana is the kernel and add in your flavor of ice cream to make it an operational ice-cram delivery system.

In popular usage, Linux is a system for a computer,
Like Banana Split is a system for a ice cream dish.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2011, 10:27:26 PM »
But Linux is called an Operating System by common usage.

No. Just because a lot of people decide on a de facto naming convention doesn't make it de jure.

A lot of people call the taskbar area called the Notification Area the "System Tray" but just because a lot of people are ignorant to what it is really called doesn't suddenly mean that their mistakes rectify their own ignorance.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2011, 11:26:10 PM »
Looks like we are off topic again.
So, before the moderator yanks us...
GNU/Linux naming controversy
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The GNU/Linux naming controversy is a dispute among members of the free and open source software community over how to refer to the computer operating system commonly called Linux.

GNU/Linux is a term promoted by the Free Software Foundation (FSF), its founder Richard Stallman, and its supporters, for operating systems that include GNU software and the Linux kernel.[1] The FSF argues for the term GNU/Linux because GNU was a longstanding project to develop a free operating system, of which they say the kernel was the last missing piece.[1]
[1]
http://www.gnu.org/gnu/linux-and-gnu.html

So, will you be happy if I call it the GNU/Linux OS?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2011, 11:46:51 PM »
So, will you be happy if I call it the GNU/Linux OS?
I just had a brilliant idea; how about, before responding to a post or posts, you read them?

jabarimark55

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2011, 10:23:40 AM »
It is said that Linux OS has no danger from viruses because it is virus proof. Is it true? If yes, why? And then why not Microsoft Windows?

It's possible to get a virus on Linux but since 99%+ of people are on Windows or Mac why would someone bother to write a virus that 99% of computers are immune to?

Possible? Yes. Likely? A little more so than aliens attacking.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2011, 12:03:34 AM »
Here an old article written in 2004. post.Judge for yourself if his argument makes sense today.
Security Report: Windows vs Linux
An independent assessment
By Nicholas Petreley
Posted in Security, 22nd October 2004 07:26 GMT
... Perhaps the most oft-repeated myth regarding Windows vs. Linux security is the claim that Windows has more incidents of viruses, worms, Trojans and other problems because malicious hackers tend to confine their activities to breaking into the software with the largest installed base...

This reasoning backfires when one considers that Apache is by far the most popular web server software on the Internet. According to the September 2004 Netcraft web site survey, [1] 68% of web sites run the Apache web server. Only 21% of web sites run Microsoft IIS. If security problems boil down to the simple fact that malicious hackers target the largest installed base, it follows that we should see more worms, viruses, and other malware targeting Apache and the underlying operating systems for Apache than for Windows and IIS...
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/10/22/security_report_windows_vs_linux/

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2011, 01:16:57 AM »
Here an old article written in 2004. post.Judge for yourself if his argument makes sense today.

It probably wasn't even right in 2004.

"In 2000, Windows comprised about half of the server operating system market, followed by Unix and Netware at about 17 percent each and Linux reaching towards 10 percent, she said, noting that today Windows owns about 70 percent, Linux about 20 percent, with Unix below 10 percent and Netware barely registering.  "

from http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Linux-and-Open-Source/Linux-Losing-Market-Share-to-Windows-Server/

Viruses and malware are more prevalent on windows for the very reason he argues against- because malicious crackers tend to confine their activities to breaking into the software with the largest installed base.

So, you ask. What about Apache and Linux servers?

that's a moot point, because web server's aren't used to browse the web and download software. And the person administering generally knows what they are doing. The only downloads they would probably make would be software updates which themselves have well documented hashes that can be compared to ensure it is untampered. Crackers break into web servers- of course they do. But they use exploits to gain access to the machine, not viruses or malware, once they've taken control of the machine, then they might place a rootkit and some of their own files in a hidden location, to run whatever software they want, not likely to have the server owner's best interests in mind. However, Viruses, Malware, and spyware are almost completely a problem on client machines, not servers. Server's need to be more concerned about patching exploits to prevent being "owned"; viruses and malware are useless to somebody seeking to take over a web server. How the *censored* could you use a malicious piece of software, regardless of the OS of the server, to take control? Unless the system is bad configured to begin with, you simply aren't going to be able to run arbitrary code on the server to begin with, so Viruses and malware are a no go. Viruses and malware are written for client machines, not servers. You aren't going to be able to trick somebody into purchasing scam software by popping up dialog's on a server.