Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: FLOPPY DRIVE AND CD-ROM CAN'T DETECT DISKS  (Read 6978 times)

inneedofhelp

FLOPPY DRIVE AND CD-ROM CAN'T DETECT DISKS
« on: June 27, 2004, 07:42:12 PM »
When ever I put either a CD into my CD-ROM or a floppy into my (A:) drive it won't read them... When I put the disk in I will click on the appropriate drive in "My Computer" but it gives me a pop up message telling me to put a disk into the particular drive.  when I check the properties it says that the hardware is working properly, soooo I'm very confused!  Please help...

A.A.

Raptor

Re: FLOPPY DRIVE AND CD-ROM CAN'T DETECT DISKS
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2004, 06:22:48 AM »
Did you try the media or CD/Floppy drive on a different system?

in need of help

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2004, 09:22:56 AM »
umm I'm not exaclty sure what you mean, like my actual disks on another compueter or my hard drives?

thanks again

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2004, 09:34:00 AM »
The media, such as CD's, DVD's floppy's, etc. Did you try these on another PC to see if they are not faulty?

Did you also try installing your CD and possibly even floppy drive on another system to see if they work there?

in need of help

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2004, 10:55:41 AM »
I actually tried the CD on my CD-RW drive (which works just fine) and I tried the floppy on another computer and they work and can be read fine so I'm not sure why I'm having these problems with my two hard drives.  
I'm also not that knowledgable with the technical side of computers so I wouldn't know how to test the drives on another computer.

Raptor

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2004, 11:19:54 AM »
Uninstall the CD-ROM reader and install it in another computer. You donot have to be the mechanic of the year to pull that off.

Does this only concern one CD and one Floppy?

Your CD-ROM reader's lens might not be sensitive enough to read the data on the CD that can be ran by using your CD-Reader/Writer. I believe this is a rare occurance, though.

If both components fail to read all media inserted, you should take out the CD-ROM reader and install it in another PC. Be sure to degmagnetize your hands and then look at how your CD-ROM reader is connected inside your PC.

Note that it most likely only requires an IDE cable and a power cable.

Proceed to disconnect the cables, remove the screws (Intercept it from falling) and then reverse the progress on another machine.

merlin

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2004, 02:19:15 PM »
check the ide cables are ok and fitted correctly  if not renew them <I'm having these problems with my two hard drives. >  does the cdrom and floppy drive  and hard drives show up in the bios ?

in need of help

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2004, 06:36:53 PM »
yeah they show up in the bios what are ide cables??

Raptor

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2004, 08:20:22 AM »
The grey coloured flat cables that are connected to all your drives. (Harddrives, CD-ROM and DVD-ROM drives, etc)

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000213.htm

This might be of assistance.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2004, 08:22:02 AM by Raptor »