Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Google Chrome  (Read 3771 times)

Lorraine

Topic Starter

Rookie

Google Chrome
    « on: April 28, 2011, 09:28:21 AM »
    Hi all,

The following problem is for a friend of mine, i always recommend this site to anyone having computer  trouble and have yet to come across anything that you nice people at computer hope have not helped with i said I'd try you lot for her so here goes again......

My friend is studying at the moment and has to do a lot on HTML for her course work, she recently installed google chrome and found that the much needed toolbar she needed to write her HTML was not available in google chrome, she uninstalled it and downloaded IE 9, however it will no longer let her type text for HTML when she opens up the View menu>source in her browser, she has tried to revert back to IE 8 to see if that helps but it will not install and keeps getting a message that say's a newer version is installed but I can't find it in the programs list in the control panel??? I also suggested that she did a system restore (not sure if that was a wise suggestion) but she has a lot of work and some new programs on the laptop that she does not want to loose. Is there any way to install IE 8 again, I did think of trying to uninstall IE 9 but then I have nothing to reinstall IE 8 with  and anyway it doesn't show up in the control panel so that's not an option she is running windows 7 on her laptop.

My apologises for rambling on with this problem but we seem to have hit a wall with this so any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Google Chrome
    « Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 09:32:57 AM »
    Has she tried this with FireFox ? ?
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
    • Experience: Beginner

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 10:55:40 AM »
    ... downloaded IE 9, however it will no longer let her type text for HTML when she opens up the View menu>source in her browser ...
    IE9 does, indeed, allow editing a web page and saving the page on your hard drive.  But, as you've noted, this capability is not available view View | Source.  Instead, click on Tools | F12 developer tools, or just hit F12.  This opens an HTML editor pane in the lower portion of the browser window.  There, the code can be edited and saved as a file on your hard drive.

However, another approach to editing a web page is to do it completely outside of the web browser.  This can be done with something as simple the Notepad text editor installed on all Windows systems.  Of course, taking this approach means to person doing it must create all code; Notepad is not an HTML programming tool like Dreamweaver; it not create the code for you.  However, a more sophisticated text editor for HTML coding can be obtained by downloading the free Notepad++.  Notepad++ color codes HTML tags and attributes, automatically indents, and makes working with HTML code easier in other ways, compared to the basic Notepad.

2x3i5x

Expert
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    « Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 11:46:53 AM »
    Try Microsoft's Expression Web 4 software. I use it, and the thing I like is that when your working, it'll autocomplete tags for you and the prompts that pop up as you're typing your HTML or web codes helps.

Software is free, you just need to sign in with either an EDU email or an email address that gets you into Microsoft hotmail/passport/live service and then just download away like it says.