Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Caps lock key opens my Microsoft Office Outlook.  (Read 16925 times)

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Caps lock key opens my Microsoft Office Outlook.
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2011, 12:32:55 PM »
ctrl + shift opens Outlook
when caps lock is on, ctrl will open outlook

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2011, 01:10:41 PM »
No, it does not.   ::)

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2011, 01:28:07 PM »
Egads...

So what does it do if you don't have Outlook ? ?

Actually Mrs.J i don't believe anyone has mentioned it but could it possibly be a setting in Outlook itself ? ?

Worth a looksee...your keyboard may be fine...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Salmon Trout

« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2011, 01:35:19 PM »
Actually Mrs.J i don't believe anyone has mentioned it but could it possibly be a setting in Outlook itself ? ?

How so? I don't see how a program could start itself by detecting a keypress that happened before it started, if you see what I mean.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2011, 02:53:40 PM »
How so? I don't see how a program could start itself by detecting a keypress that happened before it started, if you see what I mean.
Welcome to Windows 7   ;D

Salmon Trout

« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2011, 03:14:20 PM »

I have been using Windows 7 since December 2009 and its doesn't seem any different from its predecessors in this respect.

quaxo

Guru
    • Yes
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2011, 05:14:29 PM »
No, it does not.   ::)

Enough said.

Windows 7 likely has nothing to do with it.

As far as I now, Outlook doesn't have such a function.

Seeing as this started with water spilling, most likely the keyboard is sending out the signal for the shortcut key that many keyboards have that opens the default mail program. If she installed Mozilla Thunderbird and set it as the default mail program, I bet it'd open when she pushed caps.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2011, 05:20:41 PM »
If she installed Mozilla Thunderbird and set it as the default mail program, I bet it'd open when she pushed caps.

So she should either disable whatever hot key processing application she is running, or go into its settings and disable the one that starts the email application. Or kill the Office Sidebar maybe?

quaxo

Guru
    • Yes
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2011, 05:36:23 PM »
So she should either disable whatever hot key processing application she is running, or go into its settings and disable the one that starts the email application. Or kill the Office Sidebar maybe?

Actually, that might work. If the full software package is installed for the keyboard (not just the generic Windows driver), there is usually an option there to change or disable hotkeys. If the mail key is disabled, theoretically it should ignore that signal, regardless of it comes from the hotkey itself of through this malfunction. The keyboard doesn't know the difference, which is why it's doing it in the first place. If the caps lock is still doing what it should do (toggling caps) and triggering the mail program, telling the keyboard to disable the mail shortcut should make it only toggle the caps again. It will of course still be sending out that mail signal, but it should be harmlessly ignored.

Mrs. J, have you installed the software package that comes with that keyboard? If not, you might try that. If you lost the CD, look on the bottom of the keyboard for the name and model of that keyboard. The software should be available through Logitech.

Mrs. J

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #39 on: May 08, 2011, 02:48:45 PM »

Mrs. J, have you installed the software package that comes with that keyboard? If not, you might try that. If you lost the CD, look on the bottom of the keyboard for the name and model of that keyboard. The software should be available through Logitech.
    [/quote]

Checked with Logitech and my model is not listed and that's probably because it's 8 yrs. old.  LOL  My husband keeps telling me to, "Just go buy a new one!!!"  I just hate that there's a problem I can't fix.  I also tried different settings in Outlook but couldn't see anything that pertains to my problem.  Thanks again.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2011, 03:41:08 PM »
    My husband keeps telling me to, "Just go buy a new one!!!"  I just hate that there's a problem I can't fix.

I'm with your husband. Computer accessories are disposable. Your time is worth more. You can't fix some things because modern stuff is not engineered to be repairable. Get a new $20 keyboard and move on. Just my 2c worth.