Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Vista will not boot  (Read 9984 times)

Metzington

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    Vista will not boot
    « on: May 08, 2011, 08:40:39 PM »
    I have a four year old HP pavilion dv6000 (laptop) running windows vista that has been running decently until just recently.

:'(-The problem-
    When I turn on the computer it automatically takes me to the Windows error recovery screen (which has happened before) and it offer me two options: "Launch Startup Repair (recommended)" or "Start Windows Normally". Usually I choose the "Start Windows Normally" option and it works. However if it doesn't then I would always use the "Startup Repair" option and restore it from a previous checkpoint. Now when I try the "Start Windows Normally" option it takes me to the loading screen with the scrolling green load bar but does nothing (left for several hours) and when I try the "Startup Repair" option it takes me to the usual light blue screen with a cursor but does not load the window with the repair options but rather does nothing as well (again left for several hours to no avail). Tried running in safe mode but after the text scrolls by displaying what it has loaded it stops and does nothing leaving with the text on the screen and the "Please Wait..." text at the bottom of the page (the last loaded portion is "\windows\system32\drivers\crcdisk.sys"). I have tried messing with the bios but my efforts seem to have no effect. Also, my laptop came preloaded with Windows so I do not have a recovery cd/dvd/anything. If the problem is unsolvable, I would like to hear some suggestions as to how I could save some of my personal files if at all possible.

-Prior to problem-
    Within the past couple of weeks I had to restore my laptop to a designated checkpoint using the "Startup Repair" and it work fine (do not think it is my problem b/c my computer worked fine afterwards until now). The only notable occurrences immediately prior to the problem was this: I was playing Minecraft when I noticed the game becoming super laggy to the point where it was almost unplayable and (I do not remember if this was before or after the Minecraft incident) there was a notification that popped up on my screen referring to my java platform having a binary error or something like that but I do not remember exactly what it said b/c I scanned it briefly and clicked out of it. After these two events I decided to shut down my computer and the turn it back on again. This is when the problems described above began to occur. The events with Minecraft and the Java pop up could be completely unrelated but I thought it might be pertinent information.

I am not super tech savvy but I can handle advanced problems if I am given a coherent step by step process. Please don't lead me unknowingly into a solution that could end up destroying my personal files, if it comes to that I will fork out the cash and go see an expert to recover them but I would rather do it on my own if at all possible.

Thank you in advance for your time and expertise,
    Metzington

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Vista will not boot
    « Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 09:42:44 PM »
    the last loaded portion is "\windows\system32\drivers\crcdisk.sys
    The above and your overall issues may indicate falling hard drive.

Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287 (or http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=28744&hl=hard+drive+diagnostic)
    Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
    Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
    If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), to make the CD bootable.
    For Toshiba hard drives, see here: http://sdd.toshiba.com/main.aspx?Path=ServicesSupport/FujitsuDrivesUSandCanada/SoftwareUtilities#diagnostic

Note : If you do not know how to set your computer to boot from CD follow the steps HERE

Metzington

Topic Starter

Rookie
      « Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 11:14:48 PM »
      Changed the boot order, found the correct diagnostic tool for my hard drive (WD Scorpio Blue / product #: WD1600 BEVS). Downloaded the "Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for DOS (CD)" .iso file and used Imageburn to put it on a cd following your instructions to the letter (hopefully). I did all this and loaded the cd into my laptop. It ran for a while with nothing but a blank screen then came up with a screen stating this:

Unable to locate the License Agreement file, DLGLICE.TXT!!!
      Please make sure that the License Agreement file is located
      in the same path as DLGDIAG.EXE...

Cannot load the file A:\COMMAND.COM
      Insert correct disk and Strike any key_

If the license agreement is on the hard drive itself, does that mean the diagnostic program is unable to read it from the drive? If so, does that mean the drive is totally fried? Is there another diagnostic program I can use for my particular hard drive? ???

Hopefully I just goofed up and downloaded the wrong program but I am 85% sure it is the right software.

Thanks for your time and expertise,
      Metzington

Metzington

Topic Starter

Rookie
        « Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 11:27:01 PM »
        *Side Note*
        It might be worth mentioning that I have previously run the "Primary Hard Disk Self Test" and the "Memory Test" under the Diagnostics menu tab of the PhoenixBIOS Setup Utility twice. Both times it said I passed and in the Diagnostic log it labels the test results as "#1000- Passed" for each test.

I'm not sure if this eliminates the need for the Data Lifeguard Diagnostic test but I forgot to mention it in my introduction. Sorry if you could of used this information sooner but it is exam week and my brain is mush.

Metzington

Broni

Mastermind
          • Computer Help Forum
        « Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 12:02:14 AM »
        It looks like you're not only one with this issue: http://community.wdc.com/t5/Other-Software-Accessories/DataLifeGuard-diagnostic-Unable-to-locate-license-agreement-file/td-p/23669
        No solution though.

You could slave the drive in another working computer and then run Windows version of the same diagnostic tool.

Metzington

Topic Starter

Rookie
          « Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 05:11:39 AM »
          Ok, I will attempt to slave the drive later tonight using my desktop when I have more time. I will post later today on how it went.

Metzington

Metzington

Topic Starter

Rookie
            « Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011, 10:35:06 AM »
            Can't find anyone with a spare hard drive adapter that I need and the exams I need my files for is tomorrow. This is probably not going to be resolved tonight. I am just going to have to buy a new laptop. The old one is 4 years old anyways, I guess it's time to replace. :'(

This is officially becoming my summer project. I will update during the summer if I get advantageous and make another attempt to repair.

Thanks for it all,
            Metzington

Broni

Mastermind
              • Computer Help Forum
            « Reply #7 on: May 09, 2011, 05:47:32 PM »
            Good luck :)

Metzington

Topic Starter

Rookie
              « Reply #8 on: May 10, 2011, 12:16:58 PM »
              Exams are over so I am going to give it another go.

For some odd reason the boot CD that I made from the Western Digital download will only work on older disk drives. Luckily, my desktop is ancient and had what I needed. So I went out and bought the serial ATA cable and Molex-SATA power adapter that I needed and hooked my laptop hard drive to my desktop's motherboard. Using this setup, I was able to use the boot CD and run the two diagnostic tests that were recommended earlier. Here are the results:

Quick Test
              -Test Completed Without Errors
              -Error/Status code: 0000

Extended Test
              -No Errors Found
              -Error/Status code: 0000

I think this would point to a problem other than a failing hard drive. I haven't the foggiest idea what the problem could be though. I also tried to run the drive using the setup described above and I experienced the same problems as before when the hard drive was in the laptop. Therefore, I am guessing that all the laptop hardware is good, but there must be some problem with the operating system.

I guess I could wipe the drive and start over, but the only backup disc I have is for Windows '97. Also, if I wanted to remove some files off the drive what would I have to do? I had some problems setting up the laptop drive as a slave drive it would only operate independently from the other drive but this is most likely just because I didn't set it up correctly in the BIOS.

Metzington

Broni

Mastermind
                • Computer Help Forum
              « Reply #9 on: May 10, 2011, 02:53:36 PM »
              I may be wrong, but if you booted the desktop from a diagnostic CD, it tested your desktop drive, not slaved drive (unless there was an option to test slave drive).

Metzington

Topic Starter

Rookie
                « Reply #10 on: May 10, 2011, 04:05:07 PM »
                It made it very clear that the "Selected Drive" was my "Model: WDC WD1600BEVS-6ORSTO" which is my laptop hard drive.

*Edit

Also in the bios I have problems with it being detected as a primary/secondary slave drive it only boots as a hard drive from the primary SATA drive. When the computer booted up it was acting like my laptop hard drive was the primary hard drive rather than the desktop hard drive.

Broni

Mastermind
                  • Computer Help Forum
                « Reply #11 on: May 10, 2011, 04:15:27 PM »
                First of all, since you're able to slave the drive, backup all of your data before we proceed.

Then, put the drive back in your laptop and....

Let's see, if we can look at your computer booting from an external source.

Please download OTLPE  (filesize 120,9 MB)

• When downloaded double click on OTLPENet.exe and make sure there is a blank CD in your CD drive. This will automatically create a bootable CD.
                • Reboot your system using the boot CD you just created.
                  • Note : If you do not know how to set your computer to boot from CD follow the steps HERE
                • Your system should now display a REATOGO-X-PE desktop.
                • Depending on your type of internet connection, you should be able to get online as well so you can access this topic more easily.
                • Double-click on the OTLPE icon.
                • When asked Do you wish to load the remote registry, select Yes
                • When asked Do you wish to load remote user profile(s) for scanning, select Yes
                • Ensure the box Automatically Load All Remaining Users" is checked and press OK
                • OTL should now start.
                • Press Run Scan to start the scan.
                • When finished, the file will be saved in drive C:\OTL.txt
                • Copy this file to your USB drive if you do not have internet connection on this system
                • Please post the contents of the OTL.txt file in your reply.

Metzington

Topic Starter

Rookie
                  « Reply #12 on: May 10, 2011, 08:57:18 PM »
                  # Double-click on the OTLPE icon.
                  # When asked Do you wish to load the remote registry, select Yes

When I click the OTLPE icon on the desktop it asks me to browse for a folder. I do not know what folder to choose, so could you help me out?

Metzington

Broni

Mastermind
                    • Computer Help Forum
                  « Reply #13 on: May 10, 2011, 09:00:25 PM »
                  Yes. You have to navigate to a folder, where Windows is actually installed.
                  Normally, it'd be C:\Windows.

Metzington

Topic Starter

Rookie
                    « Reply #14 on: May 10, 2011, 09:17:17 PM »
                    Open the folder you told me to and immediately this popped up in a window:

Windows Registry Recovery
                    -One of the files containing the system's Registry data had to be recovered by use of a log or alternate copy. The recovery was successful.

I don't know what that means, but it sounds good.

One more thing, in between these two steps:
                    # When asked Do you wish to load the remote registry, select Yes
                    # When asked Do you wish to load remote user profile(s) for scanning, select Yes
                    Window pops up asking me to "Select User Profile". 6 options to choose from: Jordan , Local Service , Mcx1 , NetworkService , systemprofile , TEMP.Jordan-PC.004 . Also a check box asking (already checked) that says "Automatically Load All Remaining Users?".

Which option of the 6 do I choose and should the box stay checked? (I have one other user profile on the computer that I care absolutely nothing about so if it gets deleted I won't care)

Metzington

Broni

Mastermind
                      • Computer Help Forum
                    « Reply #15 on: May 10, 2011, 09:21:29 PM »
                    Use the main computer user profile (I assume, it'd have administrative rights).
                    Also a check box asking (already checked) that says "Automatically Load All Remaining Users?".
                    Yes.

Metzington

Topic Starter

Rookie
                      « Reply #16 on: May 10, 2011, 09:29:01 PM »
                      That's what I thought but I was hit with this pop up when I tried it:

-RunScanner Error-
                      Registry Access Error, ret=1017:
                      The system has attempted to load or restore a file into the registry, but the specified file is not in a registry file format.

I click OK and the box closes and takes me back to the desktop.

Metzington

Broni

Mastermind
                        • Computer Help Forum
                      « Reply #17 on: May 10, 2011, 09:32:13 PM »
                      It looks like some profile is corrupt.
                      Since we don't know, which one, try again, but this time...
                      Also a check box asking (already checked) that says "Automatically Load All Remaining Users?".
                      Don't check this one.

Metzington

Topic Starter

Rookie
                        « Reply #18 on: May 10, 2011, 09:35:43 PM »
                        Same pop up as before with the box unchecked.

Metzington

Broni

Mastermind
                          • Computer Help Forum
                        « Reply #19 on: May 10, 2011, 09:38:23 PM »
                        Try to use one of those other profiles, you listed before.

Metzington

Topic Starter

Rookie
                          « Reply #20 on: May 10, 2011, 09:43:32 PM »
                          Tried it 5 more times for the other 5 options individually, all with the same pop up.

Metzington

*edit
                          (With the box unchecked)

Broni

Mastermind
                            • Computer Help Forum
                          « Reply #21 on: May 10, 2011, 09:50:58 PM »
                          You're welcome :)

It looks like have some serious registry corruption there.

Let's see, if we can use system restore to make your computer operable again (if good restore points exist)....

Be very careful with following next set of steps:

We need to create a batch file and save it into a flash drive to move information from the sick computer to a working computer. This batch is to list all directories in C:\system volume information, which is useful for finding the backed up registry!.

Important note: Ensure that you Save it on the flash drive. Do NOT save this file on the working computer. You can accidentally run the file in the computer and damage its registry. This file will be ran in the non working computer after following the next set of instructions.

Using your clean working computer do the following:

1. Go to Start -> Run, and type notepad into the box.
                                2. Click OK.
                                3. Copy and paste the following code into Notepad:

Code: [Select]
                          Ren C:\windows\system32\config\system system.123
                          Dir "C:\System Volume Information" /s >C:\log.txt
                          Ren C:\windows\system32\config\system.123 system
                          Del %0

4. Go to File -> Save As then enter: ren.bat (save it as all files (*.*))
                                5. Then.. Save it on the flash drive. Do NOT save this file on the working computer.
                                6. After that insert the flash drive into the infected computer.

NOW...

Boot your bad computer from OTLPE CD again....

1. Once booted with OTLPE CD, go to Start My Computer then go to your flash drive and copy the batch file to the desktop then double click it to run it.
                          2. Then go to C:\log.txt copy and paste it back here as a reply to this post.

Note: You may have to copy and paste the log into the flash drive so you can post it back here.

Metzington

Topic Starter

Rookie
                            « Reply #22 on: May 10, 2011, 10:04:59 PM »
                            Here it is:

Volume in drive C has no label.
                             Volume Serial Number is C047-1EDC

Directory of C:\System Volume Information

03/12/2010  04:41 AM    <DIR>          DFSR
                                           0 File(s)              0 bytes

Directory of C:\System Volume Information\DFSR

03/12/2010  04:41 AM    <DIR>          .
                            03/12/2010  04:41 AM    <DIR>          ..
                            03/12/2010  04:41 AM    <DIR>          Config
                                           0 File(s)              0 bytes

Directory of C:\System Volume Information\DFSR\Config

03/12/2010  04:41 AM    <DIR>          .
                            03/12/2010  04:41 AM    <DIR>          ..
                            03/12/2010  04:41 AM               520 DfsrMachineConfig.XML
                                           1 File(s)            520 bytes

Total Files Listed:
                                           1 File(s)            520 bytes
                                           6 Dir(s)  87,491,768,320 bytes free

Hope it helps,
                            Metzington

Broni

Mastermind
                              • Computer Help Forum
                            « Reply #23 on: May 10, 2011, 10:10:09 PM »
                            Unfortunately, system restore directory is empty. No restore points whatsoever.

At this point, I have no other choice, but to say, that your Windows installation seems to be beyond repair.

I see no other option, but to format the drive and reinstall Windows.

I assume, you backed up your data while your drive was slaved.

If not, you can still use OTLPE CD boot to recover any of your data.

Metzington

Topic Starter

Rookie
                              « Reply #24 on: May 10, 2011, 10:17:48 PM »
                              That is a real disappointment, however I knew this day was coming. The computer had been behaving sporadically for a couple months.

I was able to retrieve all the files I needed using OTLPE. Thanks a lot for allowing me to at least do that.

If my drive came preloaded with Vista is there any way to get Vista again? Also, what kind of formatting will I have to do to prepare the drive for another operating system?

Metzington

Broni

Mastermind
                                • Computer Help Forum
                              « Reply #25 on: May 10, 2011, 10:26:42 PM »
                              Your computer should have come with some recovery DVDs.
                              If not, you can call HP to order some.
                              Your computer may also have recovery partition.
                              If it exist....restart computer and press F11 key at HP logo.
                              It should get you there.
                              Using recovery partition will return your computer to "day 1" state.

If you want to install some different OD, like Windows 7, you have to buy Windows 7 DVD.

Metzington

Topic Starter

Rookie
                                « Reply #26 on: May 10, 2011, 10:42:38 PM »
                                ... when I try the "Startup Repair" option it takes me to the usual light blue screen with a cursor but does not load the window with the repair options but rather does nothing as well (again left for several hours to no avail).

If it does exist, I cannot access it.

I'll have to order the recovery cd's because all I have is the recovery partition that won't run.

Metzington

Broni

Mastermind
                                  • Computer Help Forum
                                « Reply #27 on: May 10, 2011, 10:49:46 PM »
                                Well, we tried :(

Those recovery DVDs are not expensive.

Metzington

Topic Starter

Rookie
                                  « Reply #28 on: May 10, 2011, 11:02:57 PM »
                                  One last question, should I label this topic as solved or leave it as is?

Broni

Mastermind
                                    • Computer Help Forum
                                  « Reply #29 on: May 10, 2011, 11:04:54 PM »
                                  I'd leave it...

Metzington

Topic Starter

Rookie
                                    « Reply #30 on: May 10, 2011, 11:08:12 PM »
                                    Ok, thanks for everything. Hopefully I won't have to come back here for help for another couple years.

See you then,
                                    Metzington

Broni

Mastermind
                                      • Computer Help Forum
                                    « Reply #31 on: May 10, 2011, 11:12:15 PM »
                                    You're very welcome