Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How 2 FORCE Write Protection off Flash Drive  (Read 42093 times)

2Shane

Re: How 2 FORCE Write Protection off Flash Drive
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2005, 09:39:04 PM »
Well the SANDISK site is so bloody insane... having to play 72 questions and of course the compulsary "fill out all sections" of the online forms.... most of which is entirely unnecessary or utterly pointless.....

So having to go through all the crap, of creating an E Account, of filling out several forms over 4 or 5 web pages...

Who ever the twat was that set up that site and condones it's pure inbecility and the building of stone walls between having an issue and asking soem one about it, well they need their heads kicked.

Note: With Tech support / *censored* trips like that, Do not NOT buying SANDISK products ever again....

So I have asked Kingston tech support, I shall persue this through Microstupids rank and file idiot depts some more.. just different ones...

Off to the MS data base....

2Shane

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2005, 10:18:01 PM »
This is good, but also as oft happens, they don't tell you how to alter it under Admin settings......

Will go see.

"Access Denied" Error Message When You Try to Delete a File
View products that this article applies to.
Article ID      :      298345
Last Review      :      October 30, 2003
Revision      :      1.0
This article was previously published under Q298345
SYMPTOMS
When you attempt to delete a file, you may receive the following error message:
Cannot delete filename: Access is denied.

Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use.
However, the disk is neither full nor write-protected and the file is not in use by anyone else.
CAUSE
This behavior can occur if you do not have the permissions necessary to delete the file under the NTFS file system.
RESOLUTION
To resolve this behavior, ask the administrator to grant the necessary permissions.
STATUS
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed at the beginning of this article.

Raptor

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2005, 06:25:33 AM »
Are you a relative of Mac?

2k dummy

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2005, 07:13:18 AM »
Since it is shared on the network, is it probable that the thing is locked as a network resource and considered in use by windows? It might be worth a try to remove it as a network resource before trying to access it locally. I'm grabbing at straws, but you never know when you will draw the long one.

2Shane

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2005, 08:34:41 AM »
Since it is shared on the network, is it probable that the thing is locked as a network resource and considered in use by windows? It might be worth a try to remove it as a network resource before trying to access it locally. I'm grabbing at straws, but you never know when you will draw the long one.

Well funnulee enough, one of the more obscure messages in one of the may variations of trying to resolve it, was that it did say "this doo dah is being used by another program, quit the other program and try again" - but there was nothing (folders, programs etc)  actually linked to it and running it or anything in it.

And in amongst some satanic possessions of myself and the PC, (Who???) I did make some more super tight arsed restrictions in access and use - partly cause I was setting the machine up for the largely computer illiterate girl friend who I did not want to hear say "Oooo was that bad?" and partly to keep the meesianic leigons of doomful prophecy at bay.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Was it in Admin settings, MS firewall, Outpost, Spybot.... Ummmmmm

Any ideas on how altering network access settings could "lock out / in use" a flash drive? Where do you feel would be a good place to check and what do you think I should be altering or attending too?

2Shane

« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2005, 10:25:59 AM »
Hmm I came across this, and I have tried to install it.. but I have to shut down all my invasion killing software.. so it can install - it's a TAD oversensitive to any pauses in the instalation process....

Perhaps this might help.

Microsoft USB Flash Drive Manager (Standard)
Quick Info

File Name:

UFDSetupWizard.msi

Version:

Date Published:

4/5/2005

Language:

English

Download Size:

650 KB

Estimated Download Time:

2 min @ 56K

Overview
USB flash drives are compact and easy-to-use devices that are similar in use to your computer hard drive. USB flash drives slip into your pocket, conveniently around your neck or on a keychain for ultimate portable storage. USB flash drives in 2005 can hold up to 4 gigs of data, which is over 1700 three-minute songs (66 hours) recorded as MP3s or about three times the content of a standard compact disc. If you share a computer, USB flash drives are a great way to store personal information. USB Flash Drives are also a great option for saving information and share it with others. When you have many things to save and share but you have a limited number of USB Flash Drives, you will need to backup the information and restore it when needed. This is where the Microsoft USB Flash Drive Manager application can help you. The Microsoft USB Flash Drive Manager will help you backup and restore presentation, pictures, songs and applications from and to USB Flash Drive devices and take them with you. The application can also help you to classify and name USB Flash Drives images (for instance "My network configuration" or "The pictures for my grandma") and lets you see this name whenever the USB Flash Drive is plugged into the computer.

Microsoft USB Flash Drive Manager is available for Windows XP only.

2Shane

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2005, 10:41:39 AM »

Yeah I think you might have something there..... I am gonna look at it... I am going to ask a few pointed questions too.

It's a bit of a curley one, cause I have my system set up pretty tight against crapware and everthing, that I might have to do lots of obscure poking around to find both ends of the string...... Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

(my Brane Hurts)

2Shane

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2005, 07:05:00 AM »
Yeah, usually the remove / delete / format commands in the XP GUI and in DOS, all say the drive is write protected ( when it's not ), and when I do some odd commands in DOS  or the GIU, like RMDIR, the return is that "the process cannot access the  file because it is being used by another process" - when in fact it's only being accessed in DOS from the command prompt.

Ummm anyone know how to find out what else may be covertly hooking into the file/s I am trying to delete / format, erase etc?

2Shane

« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2005, 06:01:59 AM »
Hmmm the Sandisk people (who are pretty slack in replying - unless you play 72 questions in a personality profile - or search their entire data base for the issue that their MMC cards don't have Duhhh ), said that the card is probably defective....

Microscoff has despite several emails to a number of different entry points, has done NOTHING about the possible locking in of the card as a network component.......

Sooooooooo I figgured that I have spent WAY too much time in trying to solve this matter, and I might simply stick the card  in an envelope, send it back to my father type person, cause he has the receipt... and get him to exchange it......

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

10 out of 10 for me for doing my best to fix it.

2 out of 10 for the Sandisk folks, for setting up an -im-possible + Q&A system...

0 out of 10 for Microscoff people for providing such a completely insane way of getting anything done and either providing 1 of the most stupidist off tap responses or 5 other non replies.

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I rarely ever say this... but either the card is really partly defective, or Sandisk and MS are crap service providers...

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #24 on: September 03, 2005, 06:27:16 AM »
    Assuming you didn't change anything on your computer the only thing that could have changed is the mp3 player while it was out of your hands.
    Have you given it a good look at, maybe try & peek inside it?
    Can you try a different card in it?

Mac

« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2005, 02:24:15 PM »
    Are you a relative of Mac?

I don't have any relatives.

Loners never do.

2Shane

« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2005, 02:53:37 PM »
    Yeah - maybe it could be the reader, tho, when the previous reader / mp3 player with the misaligned jacks was replaced, the guy tested the replacement - even so far as writing to and reading from the card....

Not my card tho....

Uhh will check it out in a new reader / writer soon... then I will either be relieved or winge a little more.....