Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Hard Driver tester  (Read 2373 times)

ojas25

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• My Computer World
    Hard Driver tester
    « on: May 11, 2011, 07:04:14 PM »
    Does anyone know of a good free hard driver tester that will scan for hard drive faults?  Ojas
    Computers are my hobby and my income love working with computers

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Hard Driver tester
    « Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 07:45:28 PM »
    Most big makers  of Hard rives offer stand alone diagnostics that can boot from a floppy.
    One such utility is Sea tools from Seagate. But I need to tell you, it can do more harm that good.

My recommendation, and others who work in the industry,  is go get a new replacement hard drive if you have any reason to think the drive is not reliable. The  time it takes to recondition a failing drive is not worth it.  Even if you are  an expert. The price of a new drive is now at the level of a preconditioned drive of the same size and type.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 09:17:04 PM »
    Depending on the condition of your Hard drive for testing such as maintaining or checking the status , Microsoft OS system has a basic diagnostic or system tool like Error checking or a defragmentation program or using defraggler. Another useful way to check the integrity of your hard drive is using chkdsk (/f/p/r) for any file system error or bad sectors. A failing hard drive would mean using the manufacturing diagnostic tool.
     http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/tp/tophddiag.htm

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 10:25:26 AM »