Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Free Replacements for Windows Explorer.  (Read 6177 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Free Replacements for Windows Explorer.
« on: May 19, 2011, 03:40:18 PM »
Free Replacement for Windows Explorer.
Sometimes the Windows Edploere program can be awkward for some kinds of work. Or you may just want to try someting different for a change. Either way, there are at some good ones out there.
1. Free Commander
Free Commander is a free windows explorer replacement software that you can use to browse files and folders. It is an easy to use Windows file manager alternative.
2. Cubic Explorer
Another windows explorer alternative that you can use is Cubic Explorer. It is an alternative windows file manager that helps you browse and handle files in your computer
3. Explorer ++
Explorer ++ is another software that you can use as a replacement for Windows Explorer. It is a free multi-tab file exploring software that makes file managing for windows easy and comfortable.
The above was taken from
www.ilovefreesoftware.com
The first three are OK for me.
The site has a list of seven.To see the full list and find the downloads click on this below.
http://www.ilovefreesoftware.com/30/featured/7-best-free-windows-explorer-alternative.html
EDIT: Sorry, forgot to mention that the programs are free, but the download site will trick you  into doing a down load of something else, unless you scroll down and read carefully the small point.

JJ 3000

Egghead
  • Experience: Familiar
Re: Free Replacements for Windows Explorer.
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 06:22:37 PM »
Are they any good?

How do they compare to Windows explorer?

What are the drawbacks and advantages?

What's your favorite one Geek?
Save a Life!
Adopt a homeless pet.
http://www.petfinder.com/

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Free Replacements for Windows Explorer.
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 07:14:29 PM »
Are they any good?
How do they compare to Windows explorer?
What are the drawbacks and advantages?
What's your favorite one Geek?
The three I mention all work.

The are not as clean as windows explorer, it you have changed fonts and size these alternative viewers have a little trouble with adjusting the fonts, icons and spacing. It notice that right off because of my vision problem.

My favorite is Free Commander. It gives you a two pane view and you can be looking at folders in one area and contents of a specific folder over on  a different drive. Neat when you want to do a manual update for two drives with specific files only.

The one called explorer++ seems to be a 'portable' files viewer. You can put it on a USB stick and do not have to install it. Seems to work good enough for a helper, but not a real replacement.

Cubic Explorer would be the best choice for a replacement if you are having trouble with Windows Explorer. It has more options so that it is operatically your 'My Computer' and 'Control Panel' in one. But I have not used it enough yer to prefer it over by first choice. I have shortcuts to all three on my desktop and it is full to try things with them.
So far, none of these has done any damage.

For me, the big advantage is you can have two disparate programs viewing your file structure and each none can have settings that suit your needs for the moment.

Of course, you don't have to have these programs, but they are a reel help when you find the built-in Windows Explorer is awkward for your preferences. You fan drag and drop between the n all. And each one may have a different visual presentation.

I like having more choices.