Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: I just became aware of this device today and think it may prove usefull  (Read 7886 times)

truenorth

Topic Starter

Guru

Don't know how long this type of device has been around. However a serious user of external HDD's it occurs to me that this could be a very nice manner of expanding the utilization and versatility of external HDD"s. I see some great advantages to this piece of hardware. You would NOT be required to have a separate case for each HDD. It seems compatible to both laptop and PC (Apple as well) internal drives. This unit is only for SATA drives and connects externally via a 2.0 USB port. The flyer that includes this device arrived today from Tiger Direct and i decided to pass it along for the possible benefit of CH members,truenorth
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=3516746&sku=T925-1219&SRCCODE=WEM2669TO&cm_mmc=email-_-Main-_-WEM2669-_-tigeremail2669

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    That looks like a very good alternative to external enclosures, which are sometimes characterized by heat problems.  With the drive being in the open by using the Hard Drive Dock in your link, any heat problem is basically eliminated.  And then, it also provides the convenience of being able to quickly swap drives in it.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    30 Bucks ? ?...i'll take one...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    I normally avoid anything branded "Thermaltake" like the plague, but these are actually pretty good.  For $30, it's a no-brainer if you even think you may use it one day, it saves so much hassle.

michaewlewis

Intermediate
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Experience: Expert
    For some reason I can't open Tiger Direct today. What is everybody looking at?

truenorth

Topic Starter

Guru

It,s this but at $29.99 at Tiger direct. http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?S=1268&ID=1642  truenorth

michaewlewis

Intermediate
        • Yes
        • Yes
      oh, cool. Is there anything special about the termaltake one, or would the $20 Rosewill one from newegg be just as good?

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      Since both ThermalTake and Rosewill both sell PSU's i'd go out on a limb and say neither manufactures this device...
      I've been wrong before...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Computer_Commando

Hacker
      Don't know how long this type of device has been around. ...
      A couple years.  Some variations hold 2 drives.  The only reservation I have is the SATA connectors have a limited number of mate de-mate cycles.  The connector was never designed to mate & de-mate 1000's of times (maybe a few hundred).

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
        • Yes
      A couple years.  Some variations hold 2 drives.  The only reservation I have is the SATA connectors have a limited number of mate de-mate cycles.  The connector was never designed to mate & de-mate 1000's of times (maybe a few hundred).
      That's true.  This is intended to be in between a normal USB/Firewire external HDD and an internal drive in terms of portability - it's something you probably wouldn't use every day, but to plug in a drive for weekly backups, etc it's very handy.
      Saying that, we have several we use at work to do preliminary tests on hard drives, these have been in use for a few years and are still going strong, so they do seem fairly robust.  besides ... it's not like they're $100 or something.