Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: upgrading my graphics card help!  (Read 2155 times)

corwin11

upgrading my graphics card help!
« on: May 22, 2011, 08:59:37 AM »
i have an 8 year old computer so i went to a store and bought a new graphics card. i took it home and it fits in fine but when i plug my computer into it it says no computer input. the fan is running on it and i thought maybe i need the drivers so i plugged the computer into the second spot that i can hook it up to and picture comes in fine. thing pops up on my computer saying new hardware found so i went through that and nothing happened  so i put in the disk and when i open it it says it cant detect the graphics card.there for as far as i know i cant get the drivers on for my xfx hd 4550 graphics card.
prior to me putting in the graphics card there was actually no graphics card in it yet there is software for a graphics card on the computer. what i have my computer right now hooked up to something that is inbreed into the mother board the computer works fine that way but now i have to spots that my computer may hook up to and i don't know if that is a problem.

please help :(

truenorth

Guru

Re: upgrading my graphics card help!
    « Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 10:15:27 AM »
    corwin11,Welcome to the CH forums. This is a very hard post to follow. Here you claim " there was actually no graphics card in it" Then you Claim as well " bought a new graphics card." and " it says no computer input". then so i plugged the computer into the second spot that i can hook it up to". I don't know if you have a functioning graphics card or not. If you don't as it sounds like is the case then HOW are you able to see a display? What is this 2nd "spot" you refer to? Given that it is an old computer did you verify before you bought the "new" graphics card that your computer is capable of handling it? Tell us more about your computer please. truenorth

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: upgrading my graphics card help!
    « Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 01:10:48 PM »
    All I can understand is that computer has onboard video, new card was purchased (no reason given as to why or what type, i.e. AGP, PCI-e, PCI), computer won't display at POST.