Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Partition??  (Read 3010 times)

DPalmz

Topic Starter

Rookie

• EyEz
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
Partition??
« on: May 22, 2011, 08:30:55 AM »
I was wondering...i already have windows XP installed and running.  Theres 37 gigs left on my 80 gig drive.  Can i partition say 25 gigs of that free space and install the same version of my XP?? i would like to try tweaking and stuff and see how it affects my gaming??  I just dont want to tweak and mess up my current system settings.  If i deleted certain registry files in the "new" installed xp would it delete it from both? Just things like these i would like know?
Thanks

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Partition??
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 08:58:43 AM »
Yes you can do that and no, registry changes in one installation will not effect the other.

DPalmz

Topic Starter

Rookie

• EyEz
    • Yes
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 09:06:05 AM »
so if i partition the drive when i reboot my computer will it give me the option or something to pick what one i startup??  And if i end up liking how the new installed one works...can i format the old one and add that space to my new one??  I'm also doing this because i would like to learn how to format and install Windows XP properly from a blank drive...and this would be the easiest way to not mess my current system up?? Testing my installation skills before and see if things work properly before i do it to the entire drive.  So each partition will be completely different? i can install different video card drivers and sound drivers?? or will this create problems?

Allan

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 09:09:11 AM »
so if i partition the drive when i reboot my computer will it give me the option or something to pick what one i startup??

Yes

And if i end up liking how the new installed one works...can i format the old one and add that space to my new one??

I wouldn't. I would backup all critical data, format the entire hard drive, and create a new installation on c: drive. It is always best when c: is your system partition.

I'm also doing this because i would like to learn how to format and install Windows XP properly from a blank drive...and this would be the easiest way to not mess my current system up??

Is that a question? If so, it's A way - the easiest way? I don't know.

Testing my installation skills before and see if things work properly before i do it to the entire drive.  So each partition will be completely different? i can install different video card drivers and sound drivers?? or will this create problems?

You HAVE to install new drivers in the new installation (starting with the chipset driver)

DPalmz

Topic Starter

Rookie

• EyEz
    • Yes
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 09:15:36 AM »
aweseome!!  Thanks Allan!!  yeah im gonna install xp on the partition and make sure i do it correctly and once its good...ill do a complete format or everything and copy cat exactly what i did!
if i have an Asus A7N8X-X Mobo i would need the nVidia nForce 2 or something??

DPalmz

Topic Starter

Rookie

• EyEz
    • Yes
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2011, 10:05:23 AM »
I'm looking at my specs of my motherboard and under chipsets they have this...Northbridge: NVIDIA nForce2 400 and Southbridge: NVIDIA nForce2 MCP
do i need to install both of those??

Allan

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2011, 10:08:49 AM »
Go to the website of your computer manufacturer and download and install the chipset driver from there.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2011, 01:34:06 PM »
Why not create an image with Macrium Reflect?  If you mess up the WinXP, you can restore the image.  You should be doing this, anyway.
http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.asp

Allan

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2011, 01:38:28 PM »
I agree completely. I always suggest creating an image before performing any disk level operation.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2011, 04:13:09 PM »
Also consider since it's XP just setting up a new Hardware Profile...
It's selectable at bootup and if your fiddling around goes South it will not affect your original profile and can be deleted to start over...

Just a thought...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "