Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Darn Linux Wall Wart  (Read 12617 times)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Darn Linux Wall Wart
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2011, 10:58:51 PM »
Yes, dubious value is more correct. I do not doubt that it works. I doubt is value.
fair enough. To me it wouldn't be very useful. I've heard them being used successfully as file servers when space is at a premium though, so they do have some use.

But what about a Android that can do HD from Netflix because it has a new TI chip?  Please explain to me the great or small value and why a number of rags are making it a headline. Slow news day?
I cannot debate the values and/or merits of a given chip that will predominantly be used for cellphones - or more precisely, smartphones- because I haven't yet decided for myself whether smartphones themselves aren't of dubious value. From what I can tell, smartphones seem to cater to lazy people who are usually ill-prepared when they leave the house, or don't have the ability to think ahead to determine what type of information they will need later. "golly I don't know where I'm going" well you should have figured that out beforehand, when you were at home, or, here's a concept- keep a map in your glove compartment, like any sane person ought to. The advantage of a paper map is it doesn't need batteries or a signal. Of course you will need to figure out the complications of actually getting from point A to point B yourself without driving across peoples backyards, but if that is beyond somebody's ability I would hope they aren't driving anyway.

Are you waiting for a cell phone with the OMAP 4 processor? Anybody?
No. I don't care for mobile devices, for the most part. The only mobile devices I own is a 3 year old MP3 player and a digital camera. The MP3 Player uses some sort of ARM processor, but I really don't care what processor any of my mobile devices would use, as long as they work. I don't need some super does-it-all device. And the only time I've had to use a smartphone(to do something for somebody else) I basically gave up on it's actual interface and just plugged the mini-SD card into a USB adapter and managed the content that way.

In any case, that's sort of my point; personally, I don't feel the value of a smart-phone or anything of that nature is dubious. Clearly, the world disagrees with me for the most part; a vast majority of people clearly feel their value isn't dubious. That's basically what I mean with the Wall wart. One cannot declare with certainty that they aren't of any value; Surely they have some use to some people, otherwise they wouldn't still be being made.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2011, 11:32:56 PM »
Thank you BC.
So n you are saying that the Wall Wart might be of more value that the smart phone then plays Net-fix on an undersized screen?  [ I try to say Netflix and it turns it into Net-Fix. Maybe it means the same thing.]

Actually, the Wall Wart would be more valuable if it could have more Ethernet pots. Even having just two would increase the possibilities. In has no GPU. but has a headphone jack. Just the thing for blind administers. Now if it could have a composite video out, you could watch movies on a standard TV set.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2011, 04:59:52 AM »
if it could have a composite video out, you could watch movies on a standard TV set.

You can get that a lot cheaper. 15.99 UK pounds (25.63 USD)

Dimensions: 79x58x15.5 mm. For people still in the Middle Ages, that's 3.11 inches across x 2.28 inches high x 0.6 inches thick. As one of the many happy reviews says, "it's smaller than a box of 20 cigarettes!".

Product Description
The mini media player is a multimedia device which can read Flash Drives, External Hard Drives and SD/MMC/MS cards, decode the content included, and then output it via HDMI or Composite (AV) on to your TV or monitor.

Decode videos with 480p/576p and upscale resolution to 1080i and 720p via HDMI
     plug and play support for USB storage and MMC/SD/MS/SDHC card;
    standalone file edit without a pc: copy, delete, rename, etc

Supported Files:
    Video: MPEG-1 (AVI, MPG, DAT), MPEG-2 (AVI, VOB), MPEG-4 (AVI, DivX, XviD)
    Audio: Wave, AAC, WMA, MP3
    Picture: BMP, TIFF, PNG,GIF, JPEG
    Subtitle: SRT, SMI, SSA
    Input Interfaces:
    USB HOST: USB 2.0 high speed; Support FAT32 & NTFS file system
    Card Slot: SD / MMC / MS / SDHC
    Video Output: HDMI 1.1, Composite Video
    Audio Output: Dual Channel Stereo
    Power Supply:
    Input: AC100-240V 50/60HZ
    Output: DC 5.6V, 2A
    Dimensions: 79x58x15.5 mm.

Package Included

1pc Mini HDMI Media Player PDM05H
    1pc Remote control
    1pc DC adapter
    1pc A/V cable
    1pc User Manual

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2011, 10:14:50 AM »
Wow! That is a great Wall Wart thing! Where do I get one? Do they take Bill Me Later?

Salmon Trout

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2011, 11:14:44 AM »
Where do I get one?

It's called a Xenta HDMI Media Player, they sell them in Europe at Ebuyer and I have seen them at Amazon.

Quantos

Guru
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2011, 11:19:46 AM »
...they sell them in Europe at Ebuyer and I have seen them at Amazon.
Are you sure that you have the price correct on that item?
Evil is an exact science.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2011, 11:38:17 AM »
Are you sure that you have the price correct on that item?

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/225049

They actually do a "value" one with less features that is 14.63 UK pounds that they claim is "cheapest in UK".

They do other similar stuff...

« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 11:50:13 AM by Salmon Trout »

Salmon Trout

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2011, 11:47:40 AM »
They aren't the only suppliers of cheap media players. But they do seem to be very cheap. I had a Canon laser printer from them for 45 UK pounds, and last week a 32 GB pen drive for 22 pounds. 

Maplin actually have stores (they are like Best Buy)

Quantos

Guru
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2011, 05:26:49 PM »
If they were using them as file servers they should be able to function as a LAN printer server, can't they?

<edit>  I'm referring to the one at the top of the page, not the other ones.  </edit>
Evil is an exact science.

Mr-Bisquit

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #24 on: July 29, 2011, 10:13:28 AM »
    An open public apology to Geek-9pm. Forgive me for making assumptions and not thinking.

Anyway, since ARM is a more efficient processor, why has it not made more headway into the Desktop market?

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    « Reply #25 on: July 30, 2011, 12:58:40 AM »
    An open public apology to Geek-9pm. Forgive me for making assumptions and not thinking.
    Thank you
    Anyway, since ARM is a more efficient processor, why has it not made more headway into the Desktop market?
    ARN is a type of RISC CPU. It is a lot different from the Pentium CPU made by Intel. Porting it to Desktops would be a huge chore. Because so much software was already written in the Intel code.
    But ARM is very popular in is field. Aside for servers and Desktops and most laptops, the ARM CPU may be the most widely used CPU in automation. The programs are very specific to a given task. Actually, the development can be on a Desktop using emulation to test a ARM program.
    The Linux based gadgets considered here have to be low power and fast. Linux source is in C and free, so it is ported to the ARM for a specific use. Only a part of the Linux stuff is really needed to make the thing work. So the developers build a custom version that is low-cost and very efficient. And you can have the company help you if it is a big order.

ARM is a leader in microprocessor Intellectual Property. ARM designs and licenses fast, low-cost, power-efficient RISC processors, peripherals and ...
    http://www.arm.com/

immental1200

« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2011, 01:24:19 PM »
    They aren't the only suppliers of cheap media players. But they do seem to be very cheap. I had a Canon laser printer from them for 45 UK pounds, and last week a 32 GB pen drive for 22 pounds. 

Maplin actually have stores (they are like Best Buy)

You got a 32GB flash drive from Maplins? !!! What make... out of curiosity...

Salmon Trout

« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2011, 01:38:07 PM »
    You misread my post.

They [ebuyer, who I mentioned in my previous post] aren't the only suppliers of cheap media players. [...] Maplin actually have stores [unlike ebuyer who are web only]

I got the 32 GB flash drive from Ebuyer. It's not on offer any more, its back at £29.45. It's a Verbatim Pinstripe. However Maplin are selling 32 GB flash drives at a whopping £20 more - £49.99 at the moment - they use this illustration although they say "design may vary" so I think what you get depends what they manage to pick up cheap from week to week.

immental1200

« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2011, 01:48:44 PM »
    £30 is still cheap for a 32GB drive, unless its USB 1.0 ?

Salmon Trout

« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2011, 02:09:03 PM »
    £30 is still cheap for a 32GB drive, unless its USB 1.0 ?

It's 2.0