Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: 2 wifi routers  (Read 2817 times)

Dustin13838

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
2 wifi routers
« on: May 24, 2011, 02:41:43 PM »
I have 2 wifi routers. they are both Belkin. the 1st router is connected to the modem and there is internet on the 1st router. i hoked up the 2nd router via an ethernet cable to the 1st router and the internet light goes on for a little while and goes off. both routers have different SSIDs. only the 1st router will connect to the internet not the 2nd. i know the ethernet cord has internet because i used the ethernet cord on my ps2 and laptop. the 1st router has a wpa password and a default ssid. the 2nd router has a custom ssid and a wep passwoord. please help me.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Experience: Expert
Re: 2 wifi routers
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 03:47:40 PM »
This question has been asked before many times. You should have found the answer either on Google or on this forum database.
Like this:
http://www.computerhope.com/search.htm?cx=003411668307610607965%3Ah4yba8pbdco&cof=FORID%3A9%3BNB%3A1&q=two+routers&sa=Search#1206

If that does not cover what you want, please come back and I or another here will walk walk through the process.

FYI: Two routers nan use the same SID,
- but not the same IP.

Dustin13838

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 11:12:55 AM »
Can you walk me through it?  Also cant i just use a RJ-45 spliter on the modem to have two ethernet ports for both routers.

This is the RJ-45 spliter i was talking about :

http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Go-37133-Splitter-Combiner/dp/B000Q5UMEI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1306948516&sr=8-2

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 02:24:49 PM »
Can you walk me through it?  Also cant i just use a RJ-45 spliter on the modem to have two ethernet ports for both routers.

This is the RJ-45 spliter i was talking about :
http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Go-37133-Splitter-Combiner/dp/B000Q5UMEI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1306948516&sr=8-2
Yes, I know what that is. Do you?

Dustin13838

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 02:43:09 PM »
I messed around with the settings on my 2nd router and got it working.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 02:49:12 PM »
Glad you got it to work.
For the curious:
2-Port RJ45 Splitter/Combiner
Description:
You should buy two for two cmputers. This item must be used in pairs for each installation. This 2-port passive splitter is a handy item when you need another network connection but don't have the time or the money to add another cable drop. Simply plug one device to your work area network port and another unit to the corresponding patch panel port. Now you can run two network devices over the same network cable. Sold individually, this item must be used in pairs for each installation, one on each end of the cable. Features: Plug and play operation. Passive solution. Supports network speeds of up to 100Mbps. Non-intrusive to the network. Lifetime warranty. How does 37133 (2-Port RJ45 Splitter/Combiner) work? Why will it not allow me to connect two computers directly to my cable/DSL modem? Part 37133 is not a true splitter in the sense that most people use the term. A true splitter allows you to take a single signal such as a video signal and send it to two destinations such as two monitors. 37133 does not work that way. If you have two computers that need to share a single connection, you need an electronic device to allow that connection. An Ethernet switch will give each computer a unique identifier on the internet. What 37133 does is allow to computers in a room to share a single Ethernet cable connection to a router or switch, by only using one cable. A standard Cat5e or Cat6 Ethernet connection only uses four out of the eight wires in an Ethernet cable. The other four wires are not used. By using a pair of item 37133 at each end of the cable, all eight wires can be used to give two computers two unique connections to the network. This is explained in Figure A. By having two computers connect to the first 37133 at one end of the cable, and having two connections to the router at the other end of the cable, via the second 37133, then each computer has a unique connection to the internet using only one cable.
=============================================
Most Helpful Customer Reviews

162 of 166 found the following review helpful:

5Works perfectlyMay 19, 2009
By Bruce
I'm thinking the people rating this poorly don't understand how to use it. It WON'T split a single Ethernet CONNECTION into two. It WILL enable a single Ethernet CABLE (which has 8 wires) to carry two connections (which require 4 wires each). This is helpful in places where you have a single cable running from your router (typically in a wiring closet) to two devices, and can't easily run a second cable -- i.e., where one cable is already installed in the walls.

http://sunwill.com/2Port-RJ45-SplitterCombiner/M/B000Q5UMEI.htm