Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Compressed old files - help  (Read 34185 times)

Flame

Topic Starter

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Compressed old files - help
« on: August 23, 2005, 03:40:14 PM »
Hello all. I just went to run a disk cleanup, and it says I have 3,276,894 KB worth of Compressed Old Files. I checked to box to delete them, and let it clear tghem out, but they won't go away! What can be causing this? I am using Windows XP Home, and have virus/Spyware protection which is up to date...  Is there a manual way to clean them?

[glb]Flame[/glb]
« Last Edit: August 23, 2005, 03:40:36 PM by flame »

merlin_2

Re: Compressed old files - help
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2005, 03:55:38 PM »
try it in safe mode.....system restore maybe hanging on to this files

Flame

Topic Starter

• Prodigy

• Yes
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2005, 03:57:18 PM »
Is there a folder where these are stored that I can just clean out? Should I turn off system restore and then clean?

[glb]Flame[/glb]

merlin_2

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2005, 04:07:55 PM »
This is the main account i trust.most of the files are held in in the reclycler folder....info2.....hidden from the user....try the safe mode..option.disconnect from the net.or use this >http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid,22849,00.asp
« Last Edit: August 23, 2005, 04:09:33 PM by merlin_2 »

Flame

Topic Starter

• Prodigy

• Yes
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2005, 04:35:21 PM »
Hhhhmm... Ok... I'll give that a shot  :-/  I hate having to use safe mode though... Scary thought... I'll give it a shot tomorrow when I start the system... Thanks

[glb]Flame[/glb]

Mac

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2005, 05:00:48 PM »
One of the reasons for system slow-down is decompressing.

Compressed old files

I deleted the Compress Old Files registry key from all the computers I use.

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2005, 03:11:38 AM »
If you ran the standard XP Disk Cleanup I think the figure you quote is what allowing D.C. to compress files will free up on your hdd not the disk space used by compressed files..

Check the number of days option in Disk Cleanup for compressing files, you wouldn't want to delete a compressed file just a couple of days old??

I disagree with Merlin.  The info2 file in the recycler to which he refers contains the complete paths/filenames of Deleted files (see here http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;136517#top) and does not appear to have any connection with compressed files.

My understanding is that when a file is compressed a compressed file flag bit is set.  When Windows accesses the file (the entry in the file system index that is) it checks the flag bit and if the bit is ON the file is then decompressed before being accessed (the flag bit is turned OFF) and remains decompressed until the Last Accessed time equals or is greater than the number of days set in the Disk Cleanup option for compressing files and Disk Cleanup is run.  Files can be compressed in other ways as well of course.

I understand that compressed files are not stored in any special folder, they are compressed in situ and the only change to the file index is that the compressed file flagbit is turned ON

Unfortunately I have not found a MS KB or similar article to verify the above but I am looking...
« Last Edit: August 24, 2005, 07:27:07 AM by Dusty »
One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.

Mac

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2005, 09:10:08 AM »
Compress Old Files

Unlike the other categories, Compress Old Files doesn't delete any files from the drive. It compresses files that Windows hasn't accessed for a specified period of time. The files are still available, but there will be a slight increase in access times because the files will be decompressed the next time they are accessed.

Note that when Compress Old Files is highlighted an Options button appears. Clicking it will allow you to set the number of days to wait before an unaccessed file is compressed.

Compressing old files is not worth the trouble.

Flame

Topic Starter

• Prodigy

• Yes
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2005, 01:21:07 PM »
Wow thanks! lol  Well, It can't be any Restore Points, becuase I used the options tab and deleted old dates... Saved 3% of HD space  ;D  Also, it says 50 days on the compression menu... What are you suggesting I do exactly Mac? I'm a little confused...  :-[
[glb]Flame[/glb]

merlin_2

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2005, 01:45:57 PM »
you could alter the recycle bin right -click on the bin then,click properties settings..........knock down the storage it uses,also the settings on internet explorer tools/internet options click settings and knock them down..this will speed up disks cleanup.......and also stop your pc storing junk........suggestions..

Mac

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2005, 02:15:30 PM »
Wow thanks! lol  Well, It can't be any Restore Points, becuase I used the options tab and deleted old dates... Saved 3% of HD space.  Also, it says 50 days on the compression menu. What are you suggesting I do exactly Mac? I'm a little confused.[glb]Flame[/glb]

When that dumb Disk Cleanup runs it compresses 'old files'. That is to say that these so-called 'old files' are files which haven't been accessed in a while but still need to be on your system.

Compressing them takes time and the compression can hang...

Disk Cleanup Tool Stops Responding While Compressing Old Files

When the computer does need them it has to uncompress them before they can be used. Possible pause in system operation and a loss of fluency!

So delete the Compress Old Files key and forget about Compressing 'Old' Files. It isn't worth the effort.

Now the entry doesn't appear in my Disk Cleanup panel..

Flame

Topic Starter

• Prodigy

• Yes
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2005, 02:35:35 PM »
Oh I see... I'll do that. Thanks! What concerned me was how much space it is using lol Thansk guys!

[glb]Flame[/glb]

Dusty

Egghead

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2005, 03:27:53 PM »
But if you do NOT allow old file compression then all files remain at their original size i.e. uncompressed, and take up more disk space than if they were compressed.  Access time is improved at the cost of disk space.  It's the usual "trade off" situation - if you are short of disk space then compress.

merlin_2

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2005, 03:28:00 PM »
each to his/her opinon m_2>>>I disagree with Merlin.  The info2 file in the recycler to which he refers contains <snipped>dusty

so where does the files go!and are held is my question...

Dusty

Egghead

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2005, 04:05:58 PM »
Merlin - if you are asking where compressed files are stored,  I believe they are stored on the hard disk... but are NOT shown to be in a special folder.  

For example: it is my understanding that if the file C:\My Downloads\Winer.txt is compressed  the file is still in the C:\My Downloads\ path but is now in compressed format and with the File Compression flag bit set to ON.  The disk location (cylinder/track/sector addresses) may be updated to show a new location if the compressed file has moved from the original uncompressed location on disk but the details of the compressed file remain in the same path\filename

The info2 file in the recycler contains the full path\filename of deleted files which are in the Recycler(d) folder so that if a file is to be restored to its original location the full path\filename is available

I "think" but will be happy to be corrected.

Kind regards.