Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Dinosaur without sound  (Read 2089 times)

thesquid14

Dinosaur without sound
« on: June 02, 2011, 01:52:48 PM »
My really old PC hasn't had sound for over a year now, so recently I installed new speakers.  I've gotten sound out of it, but it's only static, and I've been reinstalling it, checking for interference, all of that, but still only low static comes out of them, sometimes even out of only one.  I've had this problem for a while, and I need advice.  Is there a way to fix it?

Computer_Commando

Hacker
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Dinosaur without sound
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 04:37:32 PM »
My really old PC hasn't had sound for over a year now, so recently I installed new speakers.  I've gotten sound out of it, but it's only static, and I've been reinstalling it, checking for interference, all of that, but still only low static comes out of them, sometimes even out of only one.  I've had this problem for a while, and I need advice.  Is there a way to fix it?
Please read this first
List as much about your computer as possible. This includes operating system (what version of Windows you are using), service packs, computer make/model, RAM, hard drive, sound and video cards, current adware/spyware/virus programs being used on a regular basis, do you have a "real" Windows CD, etc.

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Dinosaur without sound
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 06:27:48 PM »
Do these speakers take power from USB or a power adapter plugged into an outlet? I have seen similar problems to yours if you plug in OLD speakers that older systems use to power thru sound card into a newer style sound port that requires a pre-amp to amplify the sound and drive speakers.

Its also possible that the sound card or onboard audio chip is bad if correct drivers.