Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Outlook Express 6  (Read 2951 times)

doc holliday

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    Outlook Express 6
    « on: June 03, 2011, 08:00:09 AM »
    I looked around, but didn't see a similar thread....

Here's my deal: My PC with XP Pro SP3 and Outlook Express 6 wouldn't reboot (looong story)

I copied out my files to a USB drive from the unbootable PC via a bootable CD.  Then burned a bootable CD of my i386 files (and slipstreamed SP2) and did a repair / in-place upgrade process that took me back to SP2 but had all my data intact.   I have now updated (again) to SP3 and all the MS updates (I think).   

Now I'm working on OE 6.

I copied everything exactly from the original PC files (and of course still have them) and I can see my email .dbx files in my C drive in the folders they were in (ie direct copy)

[edited in: during this update process following the in-place upgrade, I did update to internet explorer 8 from ie7 IIIRC)]

But when I go to OE it doesn't show me, the email files, account, or anything - its like a totally new installation.

Also same email provider, account - everything the same

??

This doesn't seem like it would be an "import" situation...

Isn't there some way that I (theoretically) can go right back to where I was, same user, account info, email mail sub-folders and contents?

Thanx
    « Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 08:37:42 AM by doc holliday »

doc holliday

Topic Starter

Rookie

Re: Outlook Express 6
      « Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 09:51:57 AM »
      I think I'm going to compare each of the major Outlook folders and files, ie saved vs current, and see whether I should import and use the older folders and files (I can't think of any reason not to -but that doesn't mean much...)

??

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 08:06:22 PM »
      No reason to start two Topics on the same issue...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

doc holliday

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 09:41:33 PM »
        No reason to start two Topics on the same issue...

Mea culpa - I was trying to focus on the scannow function here, not the OE issue.   I dunno, different boards have different standards - I'll do my best to conform to this one.

doc holliday

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2011, 01:57:20 PM »
          Wow - did I get sideways on this post!

This thread is supposed to be a question about recovering original OE6 function when the .dbx files still exist....

...trying to followup on a possible issue about files or folders being changed to read-only files during copying and how that purportedly prevents re-use of the previous OE6 settings and files...

Mea culpa - I was trying to focus on the scannow function here, not the OE issue.   I dunno, different boards have different standards - I'll do my best to conform to this one.

doc holliday

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2011, 02:04:18 PM »
            The software that's rated 0 (zero) stars??

"....This software doesn't work for heaven's sake. We have bought this in hope to recover all the mail boxes but it does not work."

Pitiful, since there is freeware / shareware that actually works!

And, it doesn't fit my circumstance - I don't need to import files, I have the files right there in the correct folders, but OE6 doesn't see them...

But thank you for taking the time to assist me.

FROM A DIFFERENT THREAD
            Problems with OE6 are common. But EO6 is the most widely use e-mail program. Here is just one of many links that deal with it. This one seems to be a little better than the rest.
            Easy Outlook Express Repair -CNET
            That page also has other useful utilities for e-mail.

doc holliday

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2011, 03:13:04 AM »
              OK, the rest of the story (perhaps for some future reader aka ignoramus)

I solved my OE6 problem.

Somewhere I had posted "I may be overlooking something REALLY basic here..."

Due to my ignorance and great gaps in knowledge, I was making this much harder than it needed to be. I was "thinking" that if I had the files 'correct', that OE6 would just fire up and be just where I left off (don't ask me to explain THAT).

The answer was really simple:

1. Setup new email account in OE6.
              2. Import files from location I had already ID'd previously.

Result: all my email folders and sub-folders with all emails, are installed and usable.

Duh.

Thank you.