Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: My Wireless Belkin Router Isn't Working! Please Help!  (Read 4050 times)

KuroiOokami1234

My Wireless Belkin Router Isn't Working! Please Help!
« on: June 01, 2011, 06:30:29 AM »
My Dell computer uses a Belkin G (one of the older models) router to offer a secure connection to two laptops, two desktop computers, and a handful of handheld electronics. We haven't had many issues with it, but when we got back from a four day vacation, both the lights for 'wireless' and 'secure' have been turned off and the wireless internet isn't working. I've tried holding the reset button, then unplugging it from everything and waiting ten seconds after the lights went out and plugging it back in. Nothing's been working. The 'wired', 'router', 'modem', and 'internet' lights are all still green. On our Motorola Modem everything is still lit. I really need help, we need wireless on all of our computers. I'm not very computer literate, so please bear with me and use layman's terms.

Additional Details:
  • We were gone for three days, and only the two laptops were used, but not on our wifi, the hotel's.
  • Both desktops were turned off for the three days.
  • There was a storm one night (not sure if that has any significance).
  • We use Long Lines.
  • My Router's model is - F5D9231-4 v2

Pictures:
Router
The top two lights are unlit on mine.

Modem
All of the lights are lit on mine in green.

Tower

If you need to contact me for anything, my email is: [email protected]

email addy removed to prevent SPAM
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 06:05:34 PM by patio »

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: My Wireless Belkin Router Isn't Working! Please Help!
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 06:25:26 PM »
If you performed the hardware initialization and still no good then I'd buy a new one.

Belkin's are not top quality, and a newer model would probably be more secure than the old unit that might have vulnerabilities. I had a similar issue with a linksys access point after a nasty storm. For some reason that storm spiked the power to the home and the access point was the weakest link. Ended up upgrading that 2004 model access  point to a newer Netgear with better security options for about $60

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: My Wireless Belkin Router Isn't Working! Please Help!
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 07:20:36 PM »
# There was a storm one night (not sure if that has any significance).
# We use Long Lines.
Why did you say that?
Long lines is a dead giveaway.
Is this a quiz? Is this the answer your want?
-----------------------------------------
Intense electrical discharge, an electrical storm can do permanent but unseen damage. Any or all electronic components can be damaged. Standard surge protectors provide limited protection. In fact, they can burn out also.Almost any device could have been damaged. The is no specific diagnostic other that direct replacement.
------------------------------------------
That is almost a textbook answer.    :P