Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: hard disk Mystery  (Read 5374 times)

vav

hard disk Mystery
« on: June 29, 2004, 01:48:55 PM »
hi all,

have a 10 GB Seagate HDD - Primary Master , Win2000,
partitioned into C: & D: , CDRW is F:
recently bought a Samsung 80 GB HDD - set as Primary slave.

BIOS (in IDE config.) detects it but displays max. capacity as 65 GB - probably old motherboard ( Intel SR440BX)

Device Manager detects it but can't format the drive ( can't find the drive letter - tried e: in cmd , says cannot find drive specified)

booted with a win98 floppy ( set 80GB as primary master ) . doesnt detect the drive. at A:\ , typed c:,d:,e: - nothing works

screwed around with BIOS and jumper settings ( including restricting HDD capacity to 32 GB ) - in vain .

also checked out Win2k HCL(Hardware compatibility list )
this HDD Samsung SP0802N not listed there )

am i missing something very basic ?

sorry for such a long one. am a novice and expect to learn from ur replies.

thanks in anticipation

merlin

Re: hard disk Mystery
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2004, 01:58:41 PM »
try a bios update and is there anything in disk management>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;222189 that may help...you could also look into this>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;300415
« Last Edit: June 29, 2004, 02:10:50 PM by merlin »

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2004, 02:22:17 PM »
You are aware that Windows 98 cannot efficiently use disks that are larger than 65 Gigabyte?

It will most likely not be able to utulize the 15 gigabyte that are left over. I donot work with Windows 98, I upgrade to Windows XP as soon as Windows 98 is installed but I have noticed this problem with my 80 gigabyte Maxtor.

vav

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2004, 06:10:20 AM »
gee.. thanks merlin. that was instantaneous and great

DM did the trick - it wrote some signature - now have 74.56 GB unallocated space - read somewhere that the 5 GB loss is due to File system overhead (but i haven't formatted it with any FS)

10 GB one is listed as basic
80 GB as dynamic

unfortunately i can't give the command format x: /fs:ntfs from cmd as it says it cannot find the drive specified.

tried the BIOS update initially,
but the BIOS version is so old Intel has stopped interactive support  ;D

and raptor... the OS installed here is Windows 2000

another amateur question :
how do i format the new disk such that i can install both linux and windows on it.

available : Fedora Core cds , Win98 cd ( read somewhere that one had to install linux first and then windows ??)

thnx
av

merlin

« Last Edit: June 30, 2004, 01:25:58 PM by merlin »