Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer will not power up  (Read 2331 times)

WarrenV

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Computer will not power up
    « on: June 05, 2011, 01:47:05 PM »
    Alright I have been looking around for alittle bit to solve my problem, but either the solution I have found doesn't work for me, or the topic never has a solution.

Anyway for awhile now I believe my computer was overheating as it would turn off on hot days when I was in the middle of playing a game. Other wise the computer ran fine. So today I decided to clean it up, as well as fix a broken case fan. I was able to get the case fan to work(the power cord was just not pluged in all the way), but now I have a new problem. My computer will not start up.

There seems to be power as when I plug the power cable in the fans spin alittle and there is a light.

I unpluged all the cords and repulged them, I toke out my RAMs sticks and the CDMbattier and put them back in. I even unpluged the hard drive and tried to turn it on, but that lead to nothing.

So now the only thing I can think of is that the RAM is fried of I need a new motherboard.  Although if there is anything else that someone can think of that would require me to not spend money that would be awesome.

truenorth

Guru

Re: Computer will not power up
      « Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011, 02:09:54 PM »
      Well the fact that it is known that you were endeavoring to use the computer with cooling components absent or defective is not a good predictor of a positive outlook. However that being said computers are designed to automatically shut down when an overheating (usually fan related) occurs. So it may NOT be that other components are "fried'. Are these references to the SAME fan "as fix a broken case fan" and
      "I was able to get the case fan to work(the power cord was just not pluged in all the way)"?If so that fan may be defective. If you have access to another fan that will fit i would try that before anything else. If you don't have an available fan they are quite inexpensive and would NOT set you back much to replace the one that only turns briefly. truenorth

WarrenV

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2011, 02:54:02 PM »
        Would a broke fan really prevent my computer from turning on? I let my computer sit overnight so it is not like my computer is overheated right now. So that shouldn't be why it isn't turning on

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 02:58:09 PM »
        Many mPC's have onboard sensors...if the fan is not working it will shut the system down to prevent further damage...
        Provide more details and/or replace the troubled fan...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "