Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: building a p.c.  (Read 2546 times)

stuart

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

building a p.c.
    « on: June 08, 2011, 09:41:29 AM »
    Has anyone any experience, advice or opinions on building the p.c. using the components recommended in Computeractive magazine, they are: Processor: AMD Sempron 140   Motherboard: Asus M4N68T-M LE V2   Memory: Crucial CT25664BA1339A  DVD Drive Sony 24x DVD-RW Sata  Hard Disk: Samsung HD161GJ.  I mainly use the p.c. for streaming live sports via Sopcast, but my daughter is increasingly getting more into gaming and her laptop (ancient Compaq Presario) keeps dying on her when games are loaded. She can't afford  a laptop that can handle the games so sharing something with a bit more guts than my current dinosaur E-Machines 170, (upgraded to 2GB memory and Nvidea G5200 graphics card,) could be a cost effective solution.
    All comments and suggestions for better spec, (budget max £200,) gratefully received.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: building a p.c.
    « Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 05:39:12 PM »
    First of all, my building is limited. Only did a few. So no help with the specifics you asked for, except one thing. You say a budget of £ 200.
    UK£ 200 = 224.873096 Euros
    UK£ 200 = 327.82 U.S. dollars
    That is a tight budget for a gaming machine. But by careful choice, you can have something that is good, but not a great storyteller.
    Opinions  beyond this point are only my own. Unless somebody agrees.
    The e-machine PSU is most likely to small. Or too old. Either way, a new PSU is a good investment, but don't go overboard.
    RAM prices now a holding or rising. Check to see if the motherboard with take the RAM you have at hand. Buy more later, when prices go down.
    That card you have is no bad. stick with ir until you know for sure that it is the weak spot.
    CPU performance comes first in gaming, video card specs are second. I refuse to change my mind of this. So do the homework on the CPU Motherboard combo.
    Have you already looked at this?
    http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/processors/sempron/Pages/AMD-sempron-processor-product-comparison.aspx
    Of course you have. I put it thee so others could see what you are talking about. Did you notice the AMD has better specs that the comparable Intel with lower powerr?
    That's all I can say.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: building a p.c.
    « Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 07:12:36 PM »
    You need to find more cabbage if your goal is a gaming machine...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "