Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Strangely I can't delete a folder and its file.  (Read 3997 times)

ChrisPachev

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Strangely I can't delete a folder and its file.
    « on: February 02, 2011, 12:27:05 PM »
    Since I started to run Win 7 (Ultimate) on my PC, the following happaned for the first time:

I downloaded a free application (a DOS utility) that come to me zipped. I extracted the zip file in my "My Videos" folder.
    I chose this folder as being empty. The extraction process created subfolders there, each containing files. Next I included the extracted files as well as other files for creating of an image file (ISO) .  I burned a bootable to DOS CD. Up to that point everything was OK - my boot CD and all included apps do work.
    The problems strangely appeared when I returned back to the folder I used for extraction ("My Videos"), I wanted to delete the extracted source directories/files:

1. I started with deletion of the main directory (it contained all source subfolders and their files). The deletion has taken several seconds and passed without warning message.

2. After completion of the "delete" command I saw that one of the subfolders has left not deleted and it contains one of its original files:
    - My Videos .................... ( system folder)
            -   Sample Videos ....(sub folder)
            -   Fdisk121..............(sub folder left after deletion, can't be deleted!)
                         - FDISK.LSM .... ( file of Fdisk121 folder. This file also can't be deleted!)

Really I discovered the sub folder Fdisk121 and its file FDISK.LSM left in their location after having cleared my "Recycle bin". I deleted what it contained because I assumed there was nothing important. (May be that was a mistake! If I could do a restore of the deleted files and folders I would do deletion again - starting first with files, then folders, as in DOS old times!?).

4. When I tray to delete either  Fdisk121 sub folder or its FDISK.LSM file the following happens:

- at deletion of Fdisk121 folder : a pop window "Recycling" comes up Saying - saying "Recycling....", but nothing more happans - no deletion, no freezing, no additional messages, etc. I can close this window and continue to work. "Recycling...." can stay endlessly (I did not wait more than 5 min)
        - at deletion of FDISK.LSM file : a pop up window "Preparing to recycle"comes up saying "Calculating...." and nothing more happans - no deletion, no freezing, no additional messages, etc. I can close this window and continue to work. "Calculating...." stays as long as "Recycling...."
        - In each of the above processes I stared the Windows Task Manager to see what process was running: no process was engaged the CPU.

5. I tried to run  FDISK.LSM file and ......it starts my ArchiCAD 10 application !!! Very strangely, isn't it?
    ArchiCAD says "Can't open .LSM format file" and opens a new one. After closing this application I noticed that if I click  the "Computer" icon, the 'Windows Explorer" runs slowly and  strangely (icons in the left pane are blinking and the address bar goes green). After  nearly 15 min the Explorer is OK.

6. My antivirus app MS Security Essentials says there is no infection.

7. CCleaner Registry tool does not discover any registry issues.

As I use Win 7 since the last 2 months and I haven't enough experience, I don't understand what the problem is, what is its origin and how to solve it.
    I will appreciate any advise or help.

Chris

2x3i5x

Expert
    • Computer: Specs
    Re: Strangely I can't delete a folder and its file.
    « Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 02:49:34 PM »
    I assume file still can't  be deleted after a reboot of the pc?

Try using the unlocker software. This will unlock the file (if it is being used by some process and hence can't be deleted) and then you can re-attempt deletion of said file.

Good Luck

ChrisPachev

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 10:48:24 AM »
      2x3i5x,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, after rebooting the problem (impossible deletion) still exists.
      Difficulties appeared only after trying to delete.

I'll try to do that once again following your advise,
      first I have understand what the "locked files"are.

I wonder that Win 7 hasn't a built in unlocking tool !

Chris

MrNeedHelp

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 11:09:19 AM »
        have you tired deleting it in dos? not sure really how 7 works but sure you have to open command prompt as admin still to do this. once you have command prompt open as admin then just get to the file and type DEL filename /F /Q   F being delete even if it is read only and q to to skip the confirm step.

ChrisPachev

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 04:03:47 PM »
          @2x3i5x

Hi, Unlocker 1.0.0.9 did its job in my case.
          Thanks once again, regards.

@MrNeedHelp

Good idea! Your post came after I've had the success
          with Unlocker app. and now I by default assume I have not any locked file
          on my PC (in fact it's impossible to check all files/directories).
          But your advise to use CMD is reasonable as Win 7 emulates DOS that can read
          long file names!! See the following picture:

I used this method years ago when I was running Win NT 4.0 and often
          had locked files.  Nowadays I simply forgot DOS and CMD prompt of Win 7, but I
          should not!!

@2x3i5x and @MrNeedHelp

Now, having the problem solved and 2 tools (Unlocker app and CMD) in hand,
          I'm still thinking on the reason that caused it.

Thank you very much to both of you!
          Chris

2x3i5x

Expert
          • Computer: Specs
          « Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 11:45:52 PM »
          glad you solved your problem.  :)

Did unlocker app tell you what process was preventing you from deleting the file (I am assuming that was the case for you.)?

For me, I rather use software if possible, instead of having to remember CMD command, but whatever works, I suppose  ;D

ChrisPachev

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 10:22:56 AM »
            @2x3i5x

Hi,

When I started Unlocker and selected the folder for deletion, Unlocker gave 3 processes involved.
            I can't now quot exactly those, but remember that all of them read  ".....explorer.exe" as a part of the
            process' name. When the folder' file was selected, Unlocker gave 2 processes involved, also containing
            explorer.exe in names. That made me a bit afraid and suspicious, but ....I hit the button to unlock anyway!

best,
            Chris

jetteryhibbard

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2011, 12:09:41 PM »
            Hi, have you tried using http://*SPAM*?  I have encountered the same problem too. and http://*SPAM* helped me. They can handle pathnames of any length, up to the internal Windows limit of 32,000 characters and it works on any Windows version (NT/2000/XP/Vista/Windows 7). You gotta try it. ;)