Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Which programs are necessary?  (Read 4446 times)

Bobh

Which programs are necessary?
« on: June 17, 2011, 01:17:58 PM »
Hi -
I have Windows Vista Home Basic   32 bit.  When I go to "msconfig" and click on "services" I get a listing of a LOT of services.  I assume these are programs but I do not know what any of them do.   Some are running and some are stopped.  I am sure there are some I will never use as my use of my computer is very simple ( I don't play games, use facebook, etc).  Is there any place that I can go to to find out what each program does so that I can either keep it or delete it?   Thanks    Bob     

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru

Bobh

Re: Which programs are necessary?
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 06:29:46 PM »
Allan -
Thanks    That appears to be what I was wanting.  I"ll print it out and study it carefully.   Thanks      Bob

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 06:53:09 PM »
Don't fall down the rabbit hole reading too much into it...

8)
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Allan

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 04:35:55 AM »
Agreed. You asked a question and I answered it - but here's the rest...... If your system is working properly, LEAVE IT ALONE. I can't begin to tell you how many problems are caused by people "tweaking" the services.

Bobh

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2011, 02:42:18 PM »
Allan  -
I will take your advice and leave well enough alone.   If it is not broke don't fix it.  I could not understand a lot of Blackviper so I will stay where I am.    Mark this solved.   Thanks     Bob

TheShadow

Hopeful

• Retiree in Florida
    • Yes
    • The Doctor
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2011, 12:26:07 PM »
For the nube, leaving it alone is probably the best advise, but for us tech's, Black Viper is a wealth of information.

I used his advise to disable 24 services in XP and about 40 in win-7.  There's just a pot full of services that 99% of folks will never use or need in a million years.  Stick with the services mentioned in the "SAFE" column.

It was pretty easy to find all the services I wanted to disable and then write them into a batch file. 
It takes only about three seconds to run that batch file to disable every redundant service in the OS.
I have one for XP and one for Vista/Win-7.

Using MSCONFIG is great for minimizing the number of things starting up with Windows, but not good for
disabling services.  For that, you need to run "Services.msc".  (for tech's only)

* I've found that Windows 7, right out of the box, only runs at about 30-40% efficiency, due to all the overhead and SAFE defaults.  It's a jungle in there!

Cheers Mates!
 8)
Experience is truly the best teacher.
Backup! Backup! Backup!  Ghost Rocks!

Allan

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2011, 12:28:55 PM »
Bobh - I strongly urge you to just leave things as they are and NOT to follow the advice in the above post.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Bobh

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2011, 07:35:08 PM »
Hi -
Thanks for the replies even after saying I was going to stay with what I have.   Somethings that were suggested were too complicated for me (I don't know much about computers).  Another forum suggested that I Google each program to find out what it does but that didn't really help me decide if I could delete any.  Once again I say thanks.  You guys have helped me a lot over the months but in this case I'm going to stay where I am.     Bob